Asst Police depts with Taser Barb Removals

Incyder38

Forum Probie
Just curious what different kind of protocols there are for you folks regarding Taser Barb Removal....Some places don't allow EMT's to remove, some REQUIRE it before a subject can be arrested. And what kind of different removal techniques do you use?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Per protocol for EMT , Intermediates, and medics.

"# Utilize appropriate PPE (gloves.) Inform all caregivers of the intent to remove the contaminated sharp.
# Remove one barb at a time. Stabilize the skin surrounding the TASER barb. Firmly grasp the barb and with one smooth hard jerk, remove barb from patient’s skin.
# Visually examine the barb tip to ensure it is fully intact. If any part of the barb remains in the subject, transport the patient to a medical facility for removal.
Provide wound care by cleansing the affected area with antiseptic and cover with an adhesive bandage. "

Foxbat

Forum Captain
Our protocol is to treat barbs as impaled objects and not to remove them unless they interfere with ABCs.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Per protocol for EMT , Intermediates, and medics.

"# Utilize appropriate PPE (gloves.) Inform all caregivers of the intent to remove the contaminated sharp.
# Remove one barb at a time. Stabilize the skin surrounding the TASER barb. Firmly grasp the barb and with one smooth hard jerk, remove barb from patient’s skin.
# Visually examine the barb tip to ensure it is fully intact. If any part of the barb remains in the subject, transport the patient to a medical facility for removal.
Provide wound care by cleansing the affected area with antiseptic and cover with an adhesive bandage. "

Almost word for word what our protocol is

OHMEDIC

Forum Probie
Our Basics and Paramedics can both remove the barbs. We can move them from any area except neck, head, or groin.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Our protocol is to treat barbs as impaled objects and not to remove them unless they interfere with ABCs.

thats our protocol

Epi-do

I see dead people
Our protocol is very similar to Linuss' one. We are not allowed to remove barbs from the genitals, neck or face.

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
Per my protocol, we are not allowed to remove them. The sheriff officers have been trained on how to remove them.

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
perhaps they get get just a tiny bit of satisfaction from getting to rip them out too ;)

I'm sure they do to. Lol. I've only been called out once for a guy that got tased, and they just wanted us to check him out. Approached the police car, and the patient screams "don't f*cking touch me" I think that counts as no patient contact. Officers didn't want to get him out of the car and neither did we. They were afraid he would start kicking.

MS Medic

Forum Captain
At the previous service I worked at we did not have a protocol to remove them per se but were regularly called to coutny and city jails to remove them so LEO could lock the guy up. Three words:
Twist and Pull;)

sdadam

DialedMedics.com
Our protocol consists of telling the LEO, pull it out yourself :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:.

Just kidding, the protocol says that they can pull them out, but if they insist we can go ahead and handle it.