Assisting Paramedic Resources

txilemt

Forum Ride Along
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have been reading here since I received my NREMT-B in October and thank you all for great advice and insight that I've read.

Anyways, I've been working on a local BLS rig since October and just started working part time on another towns ALS rig. Just when I thought I had everything figured out working this ALS rig has provided itself with many new learning opportunities. Most of the medics I've worked with have been good about showing me how to assist them but I really want to know as best as possible. Are there any good concise online resources to teach skills to assist a medic? Maybe an free online course, videos that you can suggest? It is something I wish they would have been more hands on with in my basic class. Thanks again everyone.

Hey! Glad you mentioned this. I've been doing some reading on this topic myself. I suggest familiarizing yourself with how to set up an IV, place 3- and 12-leads, set up a nebulizer, set up CPAP, and use a BGL meter (if that's not in your scope) and those sorts of tasks. Know your protocols cold -- and try to be familiar with theirs. Don't offer treatments, but ask how you can be useful. Get to know the medics that you'll be working with, as lots of them do the same thing differently.

Here are a couple of useful links:

http://smithsems.com/documents/ALS_Assist_Handout.pdf
http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/OEMS/Files_page/symposium/2009Presentations/OPE-815.pdf

Great! Thank you very much. I've been trying to find a continuing Ed course or something along those lines on assuring ALS to no avail. My BLS rigs have very low call volume so when the medics hear I work other places they assume I have a lot more experience than i do and I almost have to tell them what to expect from me as far as knowledge and proficiency of skills. The hardest thing I've found working under a medic is just getting used to their preferences. Some get annoyed when you get in the back on the scene with a pt and help with the initial vitals and so forth because you're not up front getting ready to drive and others think you're lazy if you don't offer help. So far I've been trying to offer as much help as possible without overstepping my bounds and trying to make as good of first impression as possible as I know how they can follow you around. Thanks again

I know it can be hard switching medics and figuring out their preferences. I'd suggest asking at the beginning of the first shift you work with your partner to figure out what they'd like. As far as skills go, ask them to show you. The main thing I expect from EMTs I work with are the ability to place electrodes and acquire 3 and 12 lead ECGs, set up a nebulizer (including in-line with CPAP or a BVM), and set up my IV supplies. Additional assist skills may come with time, but starting off with those should put you in a good place.

Back