Aspirin contraindications??

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
We are cautioned against using it for asthmatics and have recently removed GI bleeding as a contraindication.

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
As far as contraindications for Aspirin (ASA); only true allergic reactions.

However, precautions are: GI Bleed, upset stomach, and because Aspirin is a platelet inhibitor it is not recommended for PTs taking blood thinners, but just because they are precautions/not recommended does not mean these things are "set in stone". Use proper judgment, and if need be...ask your ALS provider/partner if you work with an ALS service.

- -information comes from North Carolina Protocols.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
CVA/Head trauma

Peptic ulcers/hx of GI Bleeds

Bleeding disorders

known severe adverse reaction to aspirion or other NSAIDS

Children under 18

emt_irl

Forum Captain
in ireland our contra-indications for asprin are:

under 16

active g.i ulcer or bleed

bleeding disorder( e.g hemophila)

and a known severe adverse reaction.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
As an EMT-B, I am authorized without medical direction to administer 324 mg of aspirin to someone who has cardiac related symptoms... QUOTE]

What I'm curious about is how do you manage to knock off that extra mg. from the standard 325 mg ASA tablet?

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
As an EMT-B, I am authorized without medical direction to administer 324 mg of aspirin to someone who has cardiac related symptoms... QUOTE]

What I'm curious about is how do you manage to knock off that extra mg. from the standard 325 mg ASA tablet?

If their standards are like North Carolina's standards...we only carry 81mg tablets of ASA on our trucks...so administration of 4 tablets will give you the 324mg. There has been a large debate within the past year or so about the 324mg (4 tablets) versus the 325mg (1 tablet).

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
If their standards are like North Carolina's standards...we only carry 81mg tablets of ASA on our trucks...so administration of 4 tablets will give you the 324mg. There has been a large debate within the past year or so about the 324mg (4 tablets) versus the 325mg (1 tablet).

I really ought to look inside one of these trucks again!