Aspirin anti-platelet onset?

R.O.P.

Forum Crew Member
Does anybody know how quickly the antithrombotic effects of ASA appear after buccal absorption?
The ways my pharmacology texts word it is still unclear to me.
Thanks!

Thindian

Forum Crew Member
I have been told that the "quick-dissolve" aspirin soaks into the blood stream within 3-5 minutes and becomes effective immediately after. I've also been told that normal "swallow the pill" aspirin takes 30-60 minutes to become effective in the blood stream.

OP
OP
R.O.P.

R.O.P.

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the links. The article mentions levels of ASA being detectable after 45 minutes. I wonder just how fast it really does begin get into the bloodstream. I will look up the study itself this weekend.
I ask because, since it is administered it in the field for an AMI, I assumed that it had a rapid onset of action. My texts say it has an immediate COX-1 inhibition, but they are unclear on how fast the absorption is.

OP
OP
R.O.P.

R.O.P.

Forum Crew Member
Ok I tried looking up the study, but I can't seem to find it!
These links got me pretty close:
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/122296983/issue
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/122305342/issue
I would be very curious to see how rapid the absorption of aspirin is. The article summary links provided by EMT.Dan mention blood levels @ 45 min. But it also says levels were measured @ 5min; 10 min; etc. I would love to see some kind of table or graph of this.
Does anyone have access to this study?

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I can't post the studies publicly (I have an academic library access), but do a google scholar search for the main Author (Nordt), and "Aspirin", and you should see something applicable.

Good Luck!

Dan

18G

Paramedic
Aspirin at a dose of 324mg has an onset of action (antiplatelet) of 15-30mins.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
drugs.com states 1-2 hours for absorption... but i believe that that's only for oral. I'm still looking for the buccal/SL absorbtion