Are you allowed to release c-spine, and when?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

eonefireemt3

Forum Crew Member
We are moving that way. Evidence shows that over aggressive immobilization can be harmful to the patient. Our agency just switched over to the x collar. It is a cervical splinting system that provides a more complete cervical immobilization.

In the past, if we had a neck pain patient, we were required to board them. Now we can just use the x collar without the board.

Of course, if you have a fully alert patient, who wants to refuse any treatment, they are within their rights to refuse. As long as you document that you warned of the consequences and they sign off, you're good.

chri1017

Forum Probie
How about patients with minor head traume......ie scrapes and bruises after a insignificant moi. Are people comfortable not boarding these patients assuming they meet all the criteria?

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
How about patients with minor head traume......ie scrapes and bruises after a insignificant moi. Are people comfortable not boarding these patients assuming they meet all the criteria?

head injury or trauma does not = spinal injury.
MOI alone is no reason to board someone(though some protocols disagree).

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief

I'll play Rogue Medic for this one.

Are you comfortable not placing traction splints on patients with leg pain?

Are you comfortable not placing a patient on high flow O2 even though you do not have ABG's?

Are you comfortable not needle decompressing a patient's chest even though you have diminished lung sounds?

I'm uncomfortable using a procedure that has zero indications on a patient merely because it used an anatomical word that is roughly in the same region as another anatomical word related to the procedure.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I'll play Rogue Medic for this one.

Are you comfortable not placing traction splints on patients with leg pain?

Are you comfortable not placing a patient on high flow O2 even though you do not have ABG's?

Are you comfortable not needle decompressing a patient's chest even though you have diminished lung sounds?

I'm uncomfortable using a procedure that has zero indications on a patient merely because it used an anatomical word that is roughly in the same region as another anatomical word related to the procedure.

Ohhhh, I like this so much.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
We now use CCR as a guide over nexus. BUT we are allowed to deviate using our clinival judgement. We do not even have backboards here. I avoid using c-collars on patients that don't need it.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
At this point, with the publication of NAEMSP/ACSCOT joint position paper, NOT changing your protocols to reflect their stance is negligent