• Maybe

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
For testing?

Sure.

For real life?

Not so sure. Stress decreases recall, real life is more stressful than a canned testing situation, and mnemonics aren't helpful if you can't remember what they mean.

Not always. Acute stress can be (or some consider it to be) beneficial for memory and learning. Epinephrine has a nice inverted-U curve when it comes to learning in particular.

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
If a mnemonic is an easier way to remember something, I don't see how they wouldn't be useful. Furthermore, it goes without saying that everyone is different; someone's mnemonic might not be the best suited for YOU in particular, but that doesn't suggest they aren't useful. For instance

I remember the taxonomic order KPC OFG S much more easily by thinking of KFC and OMFG, with a slight tweak or two as opposed to some long sentence taught to me in high school.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
If a mnemonic is an easier way to remember something, I don't see how they wouldn't be useful. Furthermore, it goes without saying that everyone is different; someone's mnemonic might not be the best suited for YOU in particular, but that doesn't suggest they aren't useful. .

Because blind recall does not equal understanding.

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
Because blind recall does not equal understanding.

And?

I would never argue that rote memorization trumps conceptual learning, but the fact of the matter is we're talking about mnemonics in general and if they're useful period.

It's better to remember SAMPLE, get the persons allergies and medications and have absolutely no idea why this is pertinent information, than to never get them because you forgot to follow the mnemonic.