Are all B.C. OFAIIIs knuckle-dragging paste-eaters?

hippocratical

Forum Lieutenant
Inflammatory title aside, I have a question for anyone who is, or knows, any B.C. OFAIIIs.

I'm working oilfield in Alberta, and have met a range of certified people from across Canada (EMR/EMT/PCP/ACP whatever), each normally on the higher end of the competency spectrum. Well, usually.

I've now met 3 OFAIIIs from BC though, and they have all been functionally retarded. My latest night shift cover is an OFAIII and I wouldn't let her near a splinter, let alone an emergency. She's grossly overweight, food stains around her mouth, unkempt hair, had no idea what equipment she carried, is dumb as a bag of rocks and got lost on a straight road.

In theory she had to pass the exams at some point, but is the BC OFAIII way easier than the Albertan EMR?

Note 1: I'm not accusing all BC OFAIIIs of being morons, just that in my small personal sample, I've found them to be less-than-awesome
Note 2: Here's a photo I found of my OFAIII colleague:

ralph.jpg

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't think it is just B.C. They are everywhere; not very many of them, but they do stick in your memory

medicasaurus

Forum Probie
I think the thing to remember here is OFA III is a first aid course. They can have a transport endorsment but the course is designed for the average worksite.

Instructors only need to hold a OFA III ticket for 4 years, then they take a course on how to teach it. So the people instructing may not have ever touched a patient.

To be a student 16 years old with age restriction on cert or 19 years old otherwise. That and produce valid ID. There are no other requirements.

The course is 70 hours, and to recert you just redo the text every 2 years less a day and bobs your uncle. So its possible to have a 19 year old who did his OFA 3 course when he was 16 retested once at 17 and has not done a wink of study/work in first aid since.

EMR and OFA III are NOT the same. EMR is double the hours, and you need to go to a licencing body after and maintain with CME and patient contacts.

So yes... the BC OFA III is more easy than EMR in both BC and Alberta.