Appropriate PPE for inside the vehicle

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
The situation is that you're going to be the one that gets to go into the wrecked vehicle to hold C-spine stabilization of a person's head while other crew works on getting the vehicle cut open enough to get that person out.

What is appropriate PPE to wear in this situation? What do you consider to be the minimum acceptable PPE? In this situation, is there a maximum level of PPE that you would not normally go beyond?

In this situation, do you think full structural turnout gear is mandatory, or would you consider lighter-weight rescue gear (structural shell but no thermal insulating layer) acceptable?

While holding C-spine stabilization in this situation, would you wear: medical gloves, rescue or extrication gloves, or structural gloves?

Pittsburgh77

Forum Crew Member
Speaking from experience; I just keep a "job shirt" [thick sweater/deniem collar & elbow patches] on my hook at work, rescue helmet, safety glassess and work glove are what I wear along with my regular uniform [long pants/boots]

We just had a pin job the other night and that's what I wear. If I'm with the FD, then yeah I'll just wear my regular fire gear with my rescue helmet

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Extrication gloves (like the big thick ones the Fireys have), my trusty glow worm Ambulance jacket and eye protection.

If I were to wear the far more protective padded orange jumpsuit with "DOCTOR" written on it then PRIME Doctor might get annoyed :D

Last edited by a moderator:

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
At all of the EMS-only services I've worked at, the standard has just been a jacket made out of sturdy material. Not just cotton, more like, sheesh...that navy blue raincoat/coat stuff? Whatever.

And medical gloves. If I know ahead of time I'm getting in the car, I put them on 2 or 3 pairs thick, that way if I get them bloody, I can just peel off a layer and not spread blood all over the place.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
nomex coat (either brush style or structural firefighter style), leather gloves with rubbers under them, fire/rescue helmet, safety glasses, and leather boots.

in the even that the above is not available for some reason, both the rescuer and patient should be covered in a welder's blanket while glass removal and disentanglement is being performed.

in my opinion, EMS is typically grossly unprotected when they are in the back of a vehicle when tools are being used around them, due to their agency's not providing them with appropriate PPE.

OP
OP
JJR512

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
nomex coat (either brush style or structural firefighter style), leather gloves with rubbers under them, fire/rescue helmet, safety glasses, and leather boots.

in the even that the above is not available for some reason, both the rescuer and patient should be covered in a welder's blanket while glass removal and disentanglement is being performed.

in my opinion, EMS is typically grossly unprotected when they are in the back of a vehicle when tools are being used around them, due to their agency's not providing them with appropriate PPE.

What's interesting is that while you are saying that EMS is typically underprotected in this situation, the responses that I've gotten on a firefighting forum to this same question all indicate more PPE than even you mentioned. There, they included turnout pants, too (whether structural or rescue/extrication).

skivail

Forum Crew Member
In my neck of the woods the only additional equipment "required" for a MVC are a helmet with face protection and a tear away reflective vest.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
In my neck of the woods the only additional equipment "required" for a MVC are a helmet with face protection and a tear away reflective vest.

Hastings-Quinte EMS had been issuing full extrication coats and pants for quite awhile. Give it time and I'd imagine this trend will start to spread around Ontario.

The language of OH&S requires all "reasonable" steps to be taken by the employer. If all the fire departments are in extrication gear as a minimum and medics are in shirt-sleeves it becomes hard to argue that the gear's not a reasonable precaution.

Of course then the main sticking point becomes the medics. With how many still complain, moan or forget to wear their vests and helmets, I'm sure coats and pants will go over well.

Last edited by a moderator:

nakenyon

Forum Crew Member
In my company (Fire/EMS), the minimal level of PPE that we must wear is full structural turnout gear, eye protection, and EMS gloves. I often throw on my mechanics/extrication gloves and put EMS gloves on over them for maximum protection.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
What's interesting is that while you are saying that EMS is typically underprotected in this situation, the responses that I've gotten on a firefighting forum to this same question all indicate more PPE than even you mentioned. There, they included turnout pants, too (whether structural or rescue/extrication).
you asked me what the minimum should be. and I responded appropriately.

Ideally, any EMS provider operating inside a hot zone of an MVA would have a complete set of structural fire gear or USAR technical rescue gear (coat and pants), including steel toed boots, nomex hood (great for keeping glass off your neck), and extrication gloves, along with safety glasses and a Rescue helmet. But I live in the real world, and know that not every employer will be willing to equip every staff member with all the equipment, especially if it isn't used on a daily basis.

As a side note, when debating appropriate PPE, NYC is a pretty busy place, and NYPD ESU is one of the agencies that handles extrication. and their PPE consists of a helmet, leather gloves and safety glasses, and their standard uniform. and they seem to function pretty well

OP
OP
JJR512

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
you asked me what the minimum should be. and I responded appropriately.

Well, I asked a few questions, actually, the main one (as indicated by the thread title) being, "What is appropriate PPE to wear [inside a vehicle during an extrication]?" So please forgive me for not realizing you were answering one of my other questions. I thought what you were describing was what you felt to be appropriate or ideal.

Your note about the NYPD ESU is interesting. I'll have to look into that. I'm not very familiar with the way things work in NYC, so I don't understand why the police are involved in extrications.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Helmet, eye protection, hood, nomex jacket, long pants and solid boots, being the minimum.
I am known to bump up to bunker or EMS rescue pants and turnout boots.

Bosco578

Forum Captain
Can only wear what I'm issued. Helmet with face shield, Safety Glasses, yellow coat, Slash gloves,with nitrile gloves inside,.

My wish list: NFPA approved coat and pants, I love FDNY EMS turnouts:beerchug: