Apparatus Parking at Scenes

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i dont need turn outs unless the car is either on fire or needs to be cut.

refelctive vests are another story

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Good points and I can only add just a couple of explanations. One, this occurred in 2003 and the mandate for high viz wear did not go into effect until 2006. Missouri objected to the ruling for emergency workers to be in reflective high viz vests and did not mandate it until the latest FHWA ruling that goes into effect this November.

Most emergency services in Missouri do not wear reflective high viz vests (ANSI Class 2 or 3). However, with the new Federal mandate this will change in a couple of months. I'm somewhat ashamed how poorly emergency services in Missouri respond to safety issues.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Why does the truck need to be right their? They are not loading the pt. in. And they are blocking a highway. The driver had no right to sit their. Grab your jump bags and move over.

Look closely. Is than an ambulance on the side? Move the truck in front of the ambulance.
This whole video is a train wreck, when the cop approaches he starts yelling and throwing his hands up. I would have cuffed him and took him away also.
You don't work near any highspeed corridors do you? That is one of the best ways to block the scene and protect all the individuals (including that piece of :censored::censored::censored::censored: cop) on scene. Until you've seen a squad car or ambulance get knocked aside by a driver (this is after they disregarded the cones...flares...lights...that were shutting down the lane) you may want to pay attention to what get's said here. People allready drive poorly, you toss in high speed, flashy lights to attract thier attention, and maybe alcohol for passive control, and without a safe zone to work in (one that is protected by a large piece of metal; an engine) bad things WILL happen.

Now, if the engine were moved in front of the ambulance...what good would that do? The cars would then hit the ambulance first, or the people working in the lane, or hit the gurney as it was loaded. The best place...the ONLY place for an engine to park is one that allows it to block oncoming traffic and act as a barrier to protect the people working. If it shuts down a major highway...tough.

I know why the officer arrested the captain, as you do. It is not a good idea to flap your arms at an officer, there's this overriding reflex to snatch one, twist 'em and cuff 'em. The officer felt (felt) he was losing control of the scene and behavior was exhibited which was conducive to a battery. But feelings need to be curbed when you're on the shoulder, no pun intended.
I wish we'd had that sort of lane blockage when I was working the street.
What control of the scene? It's not that :censored::censored::censored::censored:birds responsibility right then. He can investigate or write tickets later. Right then what needs to be done is to get a safe zone created, which is what happened. His role is...well...nonexistent. So to hell with him. And if that's all it takes for that guy to whip out cuffs, he needs to be retrained. Now.

I know almost the exact same thing happened in New Jersey awhile back...think the cops their had the balls to fire the guy at least.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Let's get metacommunicational here for a moment.

Let me try to make my comment clearer, because it seemed to raise a red flag. It was a comment on the psychology of a law officer, not an advocation that the fire capt be arrested. If you act as the fire capt did (flapping hands, probably cursing and shouting, rapidly approaching in an angry manner) you will provoke an officer, approriate or not on either party's part. If this bothers you, I apologize, that is how they work in the real world. The best officers take a breath and act professionally. Those who fail, for whatever reason, act as this one did. The event appears disorganized etc on the dashcam on all fronts except traffic blockage, I agree with the FD unit placement, as I said before. I wonder what a soundtrack would reveal was said betwen the two prinicpals?

Nothing indicates to me that scene safety is being sacrificed to an investigation or a citation, just wrongheadedness and excitement. If the question is whether scene control is LE's job, the pragmatic answer is that since LE can arrest you, right or wrong, and you cannot lawfully resist, then, yes, they have scene control. This seems to clearly be a case of "WRONG!".

Now, speaking of speaking, this thread is resembling a trampling victim in the elephant enclosure. Why not start a thread about each of our experiences where law enforcement has not necessarily been constructively engaged in our activities, and stop flaming each other?;)

Last edited by a moderator:

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Let me try to make my comment clearer, because it seemed to raise a red flag. It was a comment on the psychology of a law officer, not an advocation that the fire capt be arrested. If you act as the fire capt did (flapping hands, probably cursing and shouting, rapidly approaching in an angry manner) you will provoke an officer, approriate or not on either party's part. If this bothers you, I apologize, that is how they work in the real world. The best officers take a breath and act professionally. Those who fail, for whatever reason, act as this one did. The event appears disorganized etc on the dashcam on all fronts except traffic blockage, I agree with the FD unit placement, as I said before. I wonder what a soundtrack would reveal was said betwen the two prinicpals?

Nothing indicates to me that scene safety is being sacrificed to an investigation or a citation, just wrongheadedness and excitement. If the question is whether scene control is LE's job, the pragmatic answer is that since LE can arrest you, right or wrong, and you cannot lawfully resist, then, yes, they have scene control. This seems to clearly be a case of "WRONG!".

Now, speaking of speaking, this thread is resembling a trampling victim in the elephant enclosure. Why not start a thread about each of our experiences where law enforcement has not necessarily been constructively engaged in our activities, and stop flaming each other?;)
No flaming intended it that was directed at me. But being honest isn't always nice. Anyway.

I don't see the Capt flapping his hands, waving his arms, or doing anything to indicate that he was even shouting. Now, it does appear that some of the video is missing (right before the cuffs go on) so I don't know what was missed, if anything, but as this appears, he tells his driver to stay put, goes back to the car, then comes away in cuffs.

Sure, acting overly aggresive with cops isn't to smart, but if that's what's considered overly-aggresive...whoah. Hate to see what being submissive looks like. :p Safety is paramount, and always needs to come first. This is a lesson that most cops know...for whatever reason, this ********* choose to ignore that.