AP - Airport Sorry for Clamping Ambulance

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
By SHAWN POGATCHNIK, Associated Press Writer

DUBLIN, Ireland - Ireland's major airport pledged Tuesday not to clamp any more ambulances — after one was disabled while trying to ferry a seriously injured passenger to a Dublin hospital.

Saturday's clamping of the ambulance at Dublin International Airport made front-page news Tuesday and fanned public anger at clampers in Ireland's capital, where the practice was introduced in 1997. City authorities said this was the first known case of a clamped ambulance.

At the airport, police use clamps to enforce a no-parking rule outside the arrivals entrance and instead require cars to use a nearby multistory parking lot. But on Saturday, an ambulance was clamped even though it was parked in a section reserved for emergency crews immediately outside the entrance.

Read more here.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
What was the person thinking when they did that?

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
No idea what they were drinking... :wacko:

(get it, thinking:Irish:drinking?)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Chimp, No idea

I could see Philly Parking Auth. doing it to a private bus (or a philly bus ;) ) when the crew is sleeping in the rig, but I think someone just opened themselves and the airport up to a BIG lawsuit.

Jon

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
i know of an ambulance being impounded for "parking in an unauthorized area"

They were parked at the ED of one of our local trauma Centers.

You would think that people would learn... Don't Mess With The Ambulance.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
This article was also posted on FARK.com, one of the sites I visit daily, and you should read some responses.

One issue people brought up is that it was a private ambulance. Working for a private ambulance company, it always gets me that people draw a distinction between municipal and private EMS providers. The ambulance was there to transport a patient to the hospital, even if it was a private provider.

I think it's safe to say this wont happen again.

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
One issue people brought up is that it was a private ambulance. Working for a private ambulance company, it always gets me that people draw a distinction between municipal and private EMS providers.

I never understood this either... I suppose it is just another way for some people to feel more important or better than others?