Anyone work for AMR?

emtsking

Forum Ride Along
Hi, new to the site. I had a question for those of you who work for AMR...

I go in for my alcohol screen, drug test, physical agility and what not tomorrow. Is AMR truly a good place to work and a place to stay with as a career? I have heard some horrible things and some good things and was just wondering everyones opinion.

Also, can you transfer to other divisions? The one I am going with only does IFT's and figured I would stay here during and a little after medic school and then try to transfer to a division who runs 911.

Thanks for your time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
AMR, like any business, has its good and bad aspects, and is totally dependent on which branch you're at as to how it's run.

In my experience the medics who do 911 are content with it and some stay on for many years. The ones who do IFT have a big turnover rate.

Yes, you can transfer from one division to another, but have to be at your current position for 6 months.

I don't mind working for AMR, even if it is ift. However I do plan on transferring to a 911 division as soon as I can.

Focallength

Forum Crew Member
Yes you can transfer but you have to put in your time, as was previously stated. its the rare EMT-B that gets thrown into a 911 system. Everyone has to do their time doing IFT's. One step at a time, 911 is the glamor job, to be sure but dont discount IFT's. Alot of people bounce back and forth, doing nothng but 911 calls can get very stressful. As far as good vs. bad its a give and take every company has good ans bad aspects, more so with larger companies. Caounty A may be ran by a bunch of jerk wads, but county B 5 miles away can be the best post of your career. the good thing about large comapnies is if you dont like your area just transfer.

terrible one

Always wandering
depends which county you work for. Here in Ventura County they have a very good reputation, pay is very well, excellent relationship with FDs. People stay there many years and make a good career out of it. In other counties you'll here different