Anyone in the SF Bay Area?

amonteve

Forum Probie
Does anyone know anything about Royal Ambulance? They are based out of San Leandro in Alameda County.
The Careers section of their site says that more than more than half of their calls are BLS emergencies, not just prescheduled transport.
The rest of the info looks attractive too: decent pay (for EMT-B), recent grads OK, etc.
However, I know it is easy to make an a good looking website and even easier to talk big.
Has anyone around here worked for them or know anything about them?
Thanks.

Markhk

Forum Lieutenant
Hey there,

As it turns out, you still will be doing things like AMR...at least that's my understanding about Royal. BLS IFTs first only for the first couple of months before you can be put into the 9-1-1 system.

Which I guess is better than Golden State, Silicon Valley or Westmed which aren't even in the 9-1-1 system at all.

Markhk

Forum Lieutenant
Okay, forget what I just said. I talked to someone today who worked at Royal Ambulance and apparently they are not in the 9-1-1 system in any way.

OP
OP
A

amonteve

Forum Probie
Interesting.
Thanks for the info.
What do you think they mean by "BLS emergencies" then?
I think Westmed might actually pick up some 911 if AMR is tapped out.
I did a ride-along with them and I seem to remember them having a county pager "just in case".
I'm gonna give Royal a call and see what they say.

Markhk

Forum Lieutenant
My understanding is that AMR routinely downgrades calls they don't think is ALS to BLS Private providers like Golden State and Westmed.

You'll find though, in the Bay Area, it's hard to find 9-1-1 BLS experience on immediate hire since there is such a glut of EMTs and Paramedics in the Counties.

Good luck on Royal. You might think about Pro-Transport, even though they are not 9-1-1 they at least have CCT...and apparently their crew tells me they're good to work for.

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
Yea i was wondering that, ive seen the add for these places, but most of them are too far north for me since im in Santa Clara, the only ones i see around here are westmed and silicone valley. Everything else is AMR, Who are usually wonderfully slow to respond my University EMS squad requests a transport (one time took them almost an hour to get to our campus...)

Markhk

Forum Lieutenant
Unfortunately, the only way to get real 9-1-1 experience in Santa Clara County is to either go Fire or get a job at AMR.

I see you're a SCEMS EMT! I was over there last year helping out at your MCI in that nice basketball court of yours. :)

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
lol nice, yeah last year i was one of the victims in the MCI: Pulse 0, Respirations 0. It was fun, we just started planning for another MCI for this year. Do you work for AMR? im working on trying to get a job with them now, they just have so much stuff they want for their app, one more thing to get then i can send it in. If you work for them you got any Tips?

Markhk

Forum Lieutenant
Actually, I was with Stanford EMS...I was doing the moulage.

The thing with AMR is to have patience: don't give up even though the waiting list is really long. Soon enough, you'll get the call. Also, during the interview, don't say you want to go to Fire Department as a long term career goal! They apparently hate that. :D

Noctis Lucis Caelum

Forum Lieutenant
Actually, I was with Stanford EMS...I was doing the moulage.

The thing with AMR is to have patience: don't give up even though the waiting list is really long. Soon enough, you'll get the call. Also, during the interview, don't say you want to go to Fire Department as a long term career goal! They apparently hate that. :D

More info/tips please

I'm located in san jose, pretty much near santa clara also

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
R u trying to get a job with AMR? cause then you would be my competition, San jose and Santa Clara are all in Santa Clara County which is one juristiction of AMR. I just checked the AMR app and it does mention anything about Tattoos, so i dunno. If anyone working for AMR knows the should speak up.

Noctis Lucis Caelum

Forum Lieutenant
I was browsing over the other thread on AMR. Seems like some people don't like them and what not and some do. But that was in different states so anybody from the bay area know how AMR is?

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
I have a couple of friends that are paramedics for them. They have mixed feelings about them. a lot of it involve with being part of a bureaucracy of a huge corporation (because in the end that's what AMR is) its like working for the best buy of emergency medicine. so it just depends on if you like that, or the small business feel. Cause if you like the small business feel there is WestMed and Silicone valley which are smaller companies and don't seem to have as much bureaucracy behind them.

Noctis Lucis Caelum

Forum Lieutenant
Well monk, if you get in AMR let me know what you think. I haven't applied yet cause i'm still training so pleaes let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks

Markhk

Forum Lieutenant
People may make AMR-West sound like they are the "dark side" but truth be told it is the ONLY way to get 9-1-1 experience and work with an ALS medic in the County. Silicon Valley Ambulance lost their ALS contract recently so now AMR is the only ALS provider out there, aside from some Fire Agencies.

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
Well i just talked to AMR, and they have a waiting list for hiring, and they are only hiring full time, and since im a full time student I cant work for them Full time, so im pretty much screwed for them.

OP
OP
A

amonteve

Forum Probie
What number did you reach AMR at?
Did you talk to someone in this area or was it a national number?

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
I talked to their recruiting office in San Jose with the recruiting officer for Santa Clara County, San Mateo county and basically the whole bay area. So it was someone in the area. Basically if you apply with them, only apply for full time, then schedule your testing and pass all that and their interviews then get on the waiting list and hope they give you a call. other then that for EMT stuff just got start poking around at the local private transport companies.

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
I guess some updates to this section to bring it back from the dead. Silicone valley ambulance still has their ALS lisence, or at least they are still doing ALS transports. other then that things i are still the same. I was just offered a job by protransport-1, dont know much about them though, any of you guys familiar with the company can could give me some info on them? thanks