Anyone else hate needles? (past or present)

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I don't like injections in general, but I only really mind if I know it's going to be something that'll feel really awful (some types of contrast solution or surgical anesthesia, for instance). Then I'm a nervous wreck.

On the other hand, I don't mind having blood drawn at all. I donate pretty often.

emtfarva

Forum Captain
I have been stuck with a 14g. It didn't hurt at all. I was letting people practice on me. But, I am also gifted with huge veins. My right arm I have my AC and also a rather large vein to the right of it. I have a few veins in my hands that you could put a 16g if you wanted. and my forearms are loaded with veins that you could place 16g/18g in with ease.

willbeflight

Forum Lieutenant
I have the same exact problem.

I go in to an ED and nurses start taping my veins and asking if they can do a 14g on me.

I have no problem using the 21g on people but I refuse anything bigger unless I have to! 14g should just be for Theraputics. They have NO reason to use those otherwise.

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
you'll get over it fast. I don't mind sticking people but I still can't watch myself getting a shot or giving blood. Don't ask.

willbeflight

Forum Lieutenant
you'll get over it fast. I don't mind sticking people but I still can't watch myself getting a shot or giving blood. Don't ask.

I am the same way. Funny huh? I do this for a living! :rolleyes:

Sasha

Forum Chief
Shouldn't willbeflight be afraid of lancets and stat BGLs more than needles? :p

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I have no problem using the 21g on people but I refuse anything bigger unless I have to! 14g should just be for Theraputics. They have NO reason to use those otherwise.

JPS here in Fort Worth, a level 1 trauma center, requires an 18g minimum on all trauma patients. If you do anything smaller, they'll search until they find a vein big enough for an 18.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I did. I used to get dizzy at the thought of a needle being used. Now it doesn't phase me. What still gets me though is getting blood drawn. I'll pass out if I get a glimpse of it coming out of me.

The blood dosen't bother me. I just pass out as soon as the needle hits the vein. We were doing an IV mantinance class, and I volunteered to be a practice case. Well, as soon as they poked me I started feeling dizzy. Next thing I know, I am laying on the floor and there are people looking down at me.

EMTCLM

Forum Crew Member
i used to be SO afraid of needles, i tried to jump out of the doctors window when i needed my tetanus shot a few years ago :) lol, but now i love them, i love watcing when i get my blood drawn, getting shots, seeing it, the whole deal. what helped me is thinking of it strictly medically, like the needle is penetrating, the substance is being injected, the needle is being removed, stuff like that. just think of the engineering of it I guess, and you should feel much better about it. good luck!

willbeflight

Forum Lieutenant
JPS here in Fort Worth, a level 1 trauma center, requires an 18g minimum on all trauma patients. If you do anything smaller, they'll search until they find a vein big enough for an 18.

At this small town hospital where I work, we are only a trauma 3, so I'm guessing that's where the difference is.

sop

Forum Lieutenant
I have a fear of being stuck by a needle.

biggee72

Forum Probie
I am a diabetic and stick myself w/ needles all day..we had our annual TB test the other day and I almost passed out while they were doing it.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
When I was joining the Corps, I went to MEPS and they did a blood draw.

The Corpsman doing the draw quickly told me to lay down and got me some juice and cookies. Apparently I turned ghost white.^_^

willbeflight

Forum Lieutenant

The Corpsman doing the draw quickly told me to lay down and got me some juice and cookies. Apparently I turned ghost white.^_^

Awww! :sad:

masquedxangel

Forum Crew Member
-shudder- I'm eagerly awaiting the IV class where I get to be stuck and stick. Really. Really I am. I'm not losing colour in my face, quiet.

:wacko: That's going to be the hardest part for me. Gaping wounds? Cool. Broken bones? Awesome. Awful icky things that would make most normal people scatter the other way? Bring it on!

A teeny tiny needle touching skin? I will hit the floor.

I hope I get over that pretty quickly. XD

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief

I don't know how your MEPS was set up. But mine just had these bathroom stalls set up in a hallway to create a divide. Well, I'm getting my blood drawn, doing fine. All of a sudden the guy in the next room passed out and fell out of the chair, knocked into the wall (stall divider), and made it come unhinged a bit. He passes out when he sees his own blood. I laughed for a good 5 minutes.

P.S. - You had Corpsman doing your blood draw at MEPS? They drew mine at boot. At MEPS, a nurse drew my blood.

Lunah

Forum Crew Member
Needles don't bother me a bit, giving or receiving. They just never have. (I guess that's how I was able to endure so many hours of being tattooed. :D) Don't get me wrong -- I'm not some sort of masochist, and I don't go out of my way to get stuck, but if I need a shot or an IV or a TB test, it's not a big deal.

emt1994

Forum Probie
I hate needles and my husband is a paramedic he wants me to become an I I wont because I cant bring myself to stick people I just cant bring myself to do it.