Anybody work somewhere else as a provider other than an amb or hosp?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Manufacturing company. Lots of heavy equipment (Shears, presses, Laser cutters, waterjets) and welding.
Potential for traumatic injury is great, but we have been diligent in safety...we just had our 5 yr w/ no time lost (due to injury) anniversary.

Let me add...that I am still in training,

Very nice. Congratulations!

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Not picking on you, great safety record but that whole "no time lost" is a scam. Having spent several years in the Safety Field and your employer assisting you with finding every OSHA rule workaround, those records are typically false.

For example, per OSHA rules (and this is a REAL case), I had a patient suffer 2nd and 3rd degree burns from a generator fire. While the incident itself was reportable, in order to minimize the recordable action we put the guy behind a desk stacking papers. They didnt care if he sat there high as a kite on pain meds playing Tetris...as long as he was at work there was no "time lost".

Almost every job description has this phrase inserted "or other duties as assigned". This is a catchall especially for those times when you need to reassign personnel for cases such as above. It is also great for asking employees to do things not typical of their day to day routine.

Just a little tidbit of edumuhkayshun for ya since you are new and learning.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Vegetable processing and canning factory
Crisis Intervention Unit
Daytona Int'l Speedway (500 and Motorcycle)

Devilz311

Forum Crew Member
I was an EMT at a State Park. We wore the same uniform as the Lifeguards (shorts and a T Shirt), and got to sit on the beach for 8 hours. I got to kick my sandals off at 0900, and put them back on at 1700 for the drive home... Probably my favorite job so far.

As far as skill wise it was just cuts/scrapes, but occasionally we'd get a true medical emergency. I worked/volunteered elsewhere when I worked there so it's not like I didn't have experience. I think in the 3 summers I was there, we only had one code and one MVC lol.

Devilz311

Forum Crew Member
Another job was a private ALS/SCT/BLS company that has a contract with a popular music venue. I got to watch concerts all summer long, and deal with a whole lot of drunks/assaults. Fun Stuff.