Anybody know about the EMS system in and around Boulder, Co?

Frogman

Forum Ride Along
I'm thinking of moving to Boulder, Co or one of the cities immediately surrounding it from Los Angeles and I was wondering about the EMS system in the area. Who are the major emergency providers? Are the medics part of the ambulance company or fire dept? What is the average rate for an EMT-B? Should I consider getting my EMT-I or wilderness cert before moving? any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm thinking of moving to Boulder, Co or one of the cities immediately surrounding it from Los Angeles and I was wondering about the EMS system in the area. Who are the major emergency providers? Are the medics part of the ambulance company or fire dept? What is the average rate for an EMT-B? Should I consider getting my EMT-I or wilderness cert before moving? any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Boulder County is Pridemark Paramedic Services who was just bought by Rural/Metro who also is the primary in Aurora but the AFD firemedics have all the say in patient care out there. Denver is Denver Health Paramedics Division but they are in and near finishing the process of switching to a paramedic only system, no EMTs. AMR is around as well, mostly just IFTs though. Mostly everywhere else is going to be fire-based.

There's a good amount of info about services on the Front Range on here.

They don't really recognize I out there. Well they do but you will act as a basic. They usually use basics with an IV and ECG class and call them EMT-IVs. You wont see in increase in salary from B-I for the most part. Wilderness wont really help you unless your looking for a job as a ski patroller.

I love the Front Range. Miss living in Boulder. I'd love to work for Denver Health Paramedics eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
The City of Boulder contract was officially awarded to AMR, but Pridemark/Rural Metro appealed the decision. I'm not sure what the status of the appeal is. AMR covers Longmont and has the Boulder County contract, which is basically Lyons and the mountains in Boulder County.

Whoever ends up with the City contract is going to run Medic/Basic cars. I'm not sure what either place pays basics. You'd probably start on a wheelchair van or BLS transfer ambulance at either place.

I wouldn't bother with doing EMT-I. Unless you're up in the mountains, there won't be any place that will actually hire you as an intermediate, you'd have to work as a basic.

OP
OP
F

Frogman

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the information, I'm not looking at moving for at least a year but I want to know what direction to look in. Any idea of the pay? In la it's somewhere between unemployed and Walmart so I'm hoping for a little better than that haha