Anybody in Cali know wages?

Artique

Forum Crew Member
Anyone in southern California know how much the basic EMT gets and around how much it pays when you become a paramedic. I make 10/hr at my job now and to be able to do this kind of work for a little more or have future prospects for more would be great. Just looking for some personal responses. The websites are real vague.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
It depends. I'm near San Francisco and making $9.25/hr. Some other companies pay less, but have call bonuses. Some flat out pay more ($10-$11.)

That is one of the reasons that I am looking to get out of California - I'd make more as an EMT-B in Minnesota.

OP
OP
A

Artique

Forum Crew Member
I wonder if some places will match what I make. haha I doubt it but would be cool. Well we have to start somewhere.

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
Well I am not sure how far south you are thinking, but in the San Diego area starting wages for an EMT-B is around $8.50. We have way too many EMT's, because our area requires prospective firefighters to work as an EMT for a year, so companies don't feel the need to attract us with good pay. In the LA/Anaheim area I have friends that make around $12 an hour with the ability to earn more, they also get better calls and have more scope of practice. Either way I hope that helped give you an idea.

OP
OP
A

Artique

Forum Crew Member
thanks for the info. I live in riverside, so I guess I will have to look around. If need be I could always try to work in another city, but I will ahve to start somewhere. One question. Do you everntually make more as a paramedic?

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
paramedics in SD start at 11.80 an hour. i think they go up like 50 cents every six months or so, with an eventually cap which I don't think is very high. I know that if you are a paramedic and a fighter you get better compensation for your time, thats the route most medics I know are planning on going.