Anybody have experience in the Albuquerque, NM area?

Boates

Forum Ride Along
I'm an EMT-B looking into volunteering with a fire dept, but there are so many around here I don't know where to start. If I'm looking to get as much experience on the EMS side as possible (there's no straight up volunteer EMS around here as far as I know) should I go for bigger departments? All volunteer departments? I'd appreciate any info.

medic1572

Forum Ride Along
There are really no volunteer Departments in the Albuquerque Metro area. i am not sure if Rio Rancho Fire Department still has the Reserve FF. If you want to volunteer you would need to hit the outlying communities in Valencia County which are Los Lunas, Bosque Farms, Los Chavez, and Belen. THere is Also Sandoval County which may have a volunteer service still active. Valencia County I know for a fact still run vounteers. Hope this helps.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'm a volunteer medic and paid medic in both ABQ and ValCo. For VFDs your best bet is ValCo (which includes the municipal departments of Los Lunas and Belen which are hybrid departments, and Bosque Farms which is volunteer only), Santa Fe county fire, Sandoval County fire, Torrance County Fire (can't recommend that one). If you have EMS system questions for the metro area, I've worked in multiple services in the ABQ catchment area.

There are really no volunteer Departments in the Albuquerque Metro area. i am not sure if Rio Rancho Fire Department still has the Reserve FF. If you want to volunteer you would need to hit the outlying communities in Valencia County which are Los Lunas, Bosque Farms, Los Chavez, and Belen. THere is Also Sandoval County which may have a volunteer service still active. Valencia County I know for a fact still run vounteers. Hope this helps.

Rio has no volly component anymore. And ValCo has nine districts with rescues, counting the municipalities. They also run paid staff in Belen and Los Lunas 24/7 and the county has four paid firefighters during the day right now with plans to go 24/7 with a total of six paid staff.

Last edited by a moderator: