Anybody else from Utah?

Christian Salazar

Forum Ride Along
Hi everybody. I'm new to the forum and I am taking my EMT certification course in June. I have some questions for EMT's in Utah if there are any here on the forum.

OP
OP
C

Christian Salazar

Forum Ride Along
I should probably clarify.
I'm looking at going into a career as an EMT and I wanted to know a little more about the hiring process. Is it hard to get hired with just a basic EMT, or is an Advanced EMT preferred?
As far as schedule wise, do you have to work nights and graveyards at first and then work your way up to a day shift (I have kids and my wife works graves)? What is the application and hiring process normally like?

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Which company you looking at my friend. Company's differ. WHere in Utah.

Generally.. days will not be a problem.. not for a basic anyway. advanced anything is usually better ..pay and such.

DOes not pay much generally. How much have you researched the profession? I ask because you mention wife and kids.

OP
OP
C

Christian Salazar

Forum Ride Along
Which company you looking at my friend. Company's differ. WHere in Utah.

Generally.. days will not be a problem.. not for a basic anyway. advanced anything is usually better ..pay and such.

DOes not pay much generally. How much have you researched the profession? I ask because you mention wife and kids.
I worked in the tech industry for 10 years but I don't see a future for me in that field any longer. I got out of it and have been doing security for about a year now. I've always wanted to have a job in public safety or the medical field. My wife works for the US Postal service but works a graveyard shift. We have two kids.
I live in Taylorsville and I'd be looking for something in the Salt Lake valley. I haven't looked at any companies in particular.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
I worked in the tech industry for 10 years but I don't see a future for me in that field any longer. I got out of it and have been doing security for about a year now. I've always wanted to have a job in public safety or the medical field. My wife works for the US Postal service but works a graveyard shift. We have two kids.
I live in Taylorsville and I'd be looking for something in the Salt Lake valley. I haven't looked at any companies in particular.
Not being from Utah, but knowing the typical average pay for EMTs is close to minimum wage and hours is going to be company specific. Hours can range from 8,10,12,24,48 depending where you work.

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Well I am assuming you "computer good"

you should google the ambulance companies in the area. THey usually tell you what they do, 911 or other.

THen use a mixture of glassdoor and google to figure out an aggregate of the companies and the satisfaction of the employees.

!0 years in tech and a family also puts you at likely older than most. Prepare to have your patience tested. Read up on the current state of EMS.. be sure.

EMS1 website... ems world.... this site...

Situational awareness. do the research. you might find yourself wishing to be back behind a desk

2 secs on google brought up GOld Cross ambulance. Start there. also consider if you can live on 9 or 10 an hour.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
The pay is for sure a downside. For what EMTs do they are sure underpaid.
Keep in mind just because you've always wanted to do something, if the finances aren't going to work, maybe it's best to stick with something that pays the bills instead. You could always get your EMT and volunteer on the side.

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
"Keep in mind just because you've always wanted to do something, if the finances aren't going to work, maybe it's best to stick with something that pays the bills instead. You could always get your EMT and volunteer on the side."

Agreed

OP
OP
C

Christian Salazar

Forum Ride Along
Keep in mind just because you've always wanted to do something, if the finances aren't going to work, maybe it's best to stick with something that pays the bills instead. You could always get your EMT and volunteer on the side.
Volunteering isn't a bad idea.
My current employer is going to completely cover the cost of the course and all I have to pay is the background check and testing fees.

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Better idea. you'd be surprised how much saner it makes you to do it on the side.

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Welcome to the enlightened side. Most people are surprised when I describe the reality of EMS today.