Any other newbies "Overwhelmed"?

HeavyCrow

Forum Crew Member
Hi everyone. I have been visiting here for a bit (while I was in class) and finally joined. Just passed my EMT-B state test in August. I did well in class, well on my ride-alongs(we only had 2), and well on my exam. I recently joined
a local service as a volunteer for the experience and with the hope of getting on full-time in the future. So far everyone is great and seems like an awesome work environment. But last week I get this HUGE binder of standing orders, protocols, procedures, etc, and to say the least, I am a little overwhelmed. Keeping up with info from class is difficult when you arent exposed to it every day. Not a big deal, as I am determined to knuckle down and study hard. I was just curious if others felt the same when they started and how things went for them. I have wanted to be in the field for years, so I finally got off my butt to do it, and here i am. Thanks...

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
All newbies are overwhelmed a bit at first. If they aren't they are not paying attention.

EMT-G36C

Forum Crew Member
I'm actually going to apply for a job later this month. I am reviewing my text book for now, but yeah, I'm a little nervous. Hopefully it all goes well.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
you have to know your protocols before working. most decent companies have a protocol exam as part of the hiring process.

i have no idea how illinois writes their book, but in ma they print one version of the statewide protocols with all levels included. first step for a rookie learning the book, tear out all the als stuff. while you may need to know it down the road, you certainly dont need to memorize als protocols right out of the gate.

next, break it down into sections. trauma, respiratory, cardiac, etc. learn it in sections.

focus more on your statewide protocols than your text. the text makes broad generalizations based on the national curriculum. your protocols modify that to what is specifically required for your location.

EMT-G36C

Forum Crew Member
you have to know your protocols before working. most decent companies have a protocol exam as part of the hiring process.

i have no idea how illinois writes their book, but in ma they print one version of the statewide protocols with all levels included. first step for a rookie learning the book, tear out all the als stuff. while you may need to know it down the road, you certainly dont need to memorize als protocols right out of the gate.

next, break it down into sections. trauma, respiratory, cardiac, etc. learn it in sections.

focus more on your statewide protocols than your text. the text makes broad generalizations based on the national curriculum. your protocols modify that to what is specifically required for your location.
Thnkas for the tip. I'll try to find state protocols to read.

Last edited by a moderator:

ILemt

Forum Lieutenant
Emt-g36...

What service are you applying to? Is the group located in that hated state north of I-80 or is it in Illinois?

EMT-G36C

Forum Crew Member
What service are you applying to? Is the group located in that hated state north of I-80 or is it in Illinois?
Illinois. I live in Chicago, so I was thinking Medex or Advance, thought I heard from a friend and former employee that the latter is having some issues right now.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Illinois. I live in Chicago, so I was thinking Medex or Advance, thought I heard from a friend and former employee that the latter is having some issues right now.

I worked for MedEx for a long time. I only left to go to school. I found them to be a great company to work for and really enjoyed the staff. The owner, Lauren, is really sweet and will do anything for you. She is very approachable and is always on your side. Always. The company is growing but they never made us work over the shift, which was awesome. If my shift ended at 12am we got the call to bring it back at 11:10 or so and I was driving home by 12 at the latest. Other companies I have heard are not as nice.

Go for MedEx!

EMT-G36C

Forum Crew Member
I worked for MedEx for a long time. I only left to go to school. I found them to be a great company to work for and really enjoyed the staff. The owner, Lauren, is really sweet and will do anything for you. She is very approachable and is always on your side. Always. The company is growing but they never made us work over the shift, which was awesome. If my shift ended at 12am we got the call to bring it back at 11:10 or so and I was driving home by 12 at the latest. Other companies I have heard are not as nice.

Go for MedEx!
Nice. That's actually my first choice as the instructor for my class is an admin there, and he's an awesome guy. And it's close to my house so it's a plus. I did my ride along with them and enjoyed it very much. Thanks for the advice. Do you know their tattoo policy?

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Nice. That's actually my first choice as the instructor for my class is an admin there, and he's an awesome guy. And it's close to my house so it's a plus. I did my ride along with them and enjoyed it very much. Thanks for the advice. Do you know their tattoo policy?

Who was your instructor? Maybe I know him. Regarding tatoo, MedEx is fairly progressive. I guess it all depends on where and what. There are long sleeved uniforms so I guess if it is on your arms you can cover up.

EMT-G36C

Forum Crew Member
Who was your instructor? Maybe I know him. Regarding tatoo, MedEx is fairly progressive. I guess it all depends on where and what. There are long sleeved uniforms so I guess if it is on your arms you can cover up.
Richard. Really cool guy. That's awesome. Yeah I got all my tats when I was younger and got most of them on my forearm. Stupid move, but too late now.