any Mn paramedic that can answer this ?

katmn

Forum Ride Along
Hi, i received a careless "petty misdemeanor" ticket<--- unusual in MN in march 2009. I believe one popular ambulance service here told me that after 3 yrs they would hire. I am still in college so by the time i finish my EMT i plan to pursue a paramedic degree. Will this ticket cause me to not get hired?

I paid the ticket which is an immediate plea of guilt at the time as I did not realize the ramifications of it. Not alcohol or drug related. I was driving with my child late at night in fast lane, officer said i was too close to car ahead of me that was driving much under the speed limit and went over fog line a bit. I was probably 3 car lengths behind car hoping in my head that he/she would move to the right lane. Yeah not a good move. Honestly i think since my car is "sporty" and the time of night and the fact i went over fog line for a sec, the officer may have thought that I could be a drunk driver etc so i understand her stopping me. I would have too if I suspected a drunk driver I am sure to keep the HWY's safe. . However i know that a careless now is much too harsh for how i was driving. I would never put my son in harms way nor anyone intentionally. I also was not driving erratic or whipping donuts in a parking lot LOL! or racing anyone :p . there was one car on road with me and the P.O. If i had known better would have fought the ticket and i believe would have have won or at least decreased it to something else.
we are coming up on 2 years this has been on my record now. I tried attorneys to expunge but its a little late now. I did call county prosecutor and he hinted that if I petitioned the court he MAY not dispute it. It's about 1500 just for a attorney retainer fee in my area. They really thought it was getting too late and they didn't want to just take my money at the time when i called. Kind of nice for those money seeking attorneys to be honest with me.

Any idea if this will hinder me from employment as EMT/Paramedic in MN? I am a mother of 5 and have a 4.0 in college. I try to drive my best and do what is right. I really would hate to see me finish college and not get hired. This caused me to have 4 points on my driving record. I do not have a criminal record just for the sake of stating so.

thanks so much for your advice:)

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Welcome to EMTLife!

To me it sounds like you already have your answer.

I believe one popular ambulance service here told me that after 3 yrs they would hire.

What you can do going forward is drive safer, obey the laws, take whatever defensive driving classes you can, etc., so that once you are done with school and you have your paramedic cert., you can walk into an agency/department with your head held high saying, "Yeah, I messed up three/four years ago but I've taken steps to prove myself."