Any Input Is DEFINITELY appreciated!!

ems2011

Forum Ride Along
I'm 23 years old and have 2 DUI's both in 2008 in CA two months apart. I don't have a drinking problem and actually quit drinking after some of the numerous programs I was required to take, I was 20 at the time and was drinking to cope with my brother's diagnosis/treatment of Brain Cancer. Since then I have gotten my life straight and I finally have the funds to pursue a career in Fire/Paramedic/EMT. I am registered in my EMTB program starting in Jan and I guess I would like any feedback on what I can expect for job placement.

I've spent numerous days of researching and calling my county, the Nat. Registry and even my EMT instructors and from what I understand I will have no problem being certified/licensed for my EMT and Paramedic and I even have the opportunity to get my Ambulance Certificate through DMV, but placement would be an issue because of insurance reasons.

Has anyone had any experience personal or not that may help me out.

Thanks!

ClarkKent

Forum Lieutenant
I have called AMR and first responder and they both said that they will look over your app, but if they have another person with the same app with our DUIs, they will hire them over you as an EMT. Paramedics might be a different story since you will mostly be doing patient care. What I would do (an I am also doing the same thing) is try volunteering if you can (Sacramento does not allow Volunteers) or try getting a job in a hospital emergency room tech. I am not going to lie, they are very hard to get. So fi you can land one, TAKE IT. That is your best shoot

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
It'll be tough. Not saying that it's hopeless, but I've never seen anybody get hired with recent DUIs.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Like Superman said, you need to get experience and prove that this isn't a problem for you. If it comes up in an interview, give the context, have evidence that you are working to benefit your community, and if possible maybe even get a reference from your sponsor if you have one.

OP
OP
E

ems2011

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for your guys' imput, Yeah I have some connections with some hospitals around here. Getting is as an ER Tech after my EMT-B was my initial plan because it didn't involve transportation. Then once I finished my Paramedic I would have the intern hours as well as what C-Kent said about Paramedics mainly focusing on patient care.

It just sucks because of stupid decisions from when you were young can have a major affect on your long term career choices when you mature..

phideux

Forum Captain
Most of the places here want a 10yr driving record when you apply. Too many speeding tickets or a DUI will keep you from getting hired. In most states the first 2 DUIs are misdemeanors, As long as they are just DUIs with no accident/injuries. the third is a felony. Get another and the job search will be really hard.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
There are some non-transporting opportunities out there, both volunteer and paid. Look for organizations that do event standby. I've also known companies that will hire EMT's just to work in the back, though it seems you usually need a personal connection to get that kind of job.

DGreno

Forum Probie
We have a paramedic in our agency that got a DUI while he was employed. Our insurance agency said he is no longer to drive one of our vehicles, effective for 5 years. He has been in dispatch ever since. I am not sure if this helps you or not...

DGreno

Forum Probie
Thats just what they did with him. He still rides on a truck every once in a while but not often because no one wants to work with him and have to drive every call.

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
fwiw, my company doesn't hire people with DUIs at all, ever. just too many other applicants who CAN get on the insurance.

op- how about look into non-driving EMT jobs- at amusement parks, summer camps, etc?

or other healthcare careers- RN, etc...?

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Why is he in dispatch? Can't he still tech even if it's a bls call?

I would HATE having a partner who could not drive, just saying. The day goes by much faster if there's a little sharing of responsibilities. No one should be hired with the stipulation that they can't drive the truck, it's just not fair, and will make the system as a whole more difficult to work in.