any help for a future student coming from Spain??

stormy

Forum Ride Along
Hi folks, thank u all in this forum for everything I read from u.
My case is that I live in Spain and I'm working in an ambulance. My top is someday I could go to the States, study to be a Paramedic n if I'm lucky work there side by side with u all.
But the thing is, sometimes it's really hard to find out the steps to follow to study there and which state is the more appropiate to develope my career.
I'd be very pleased if any of u could help me and recommend me whatever u think are the steps I should follow...
I want to thank u all in advanced for sharing all related to this amazing field and your experiences. :)

HAZMAT

Forum Probie
The first step is going to be to obtain your EMT - Basic certification. The class is going to be in excess of 100 hours long and cover a wide range of topics. From there Paramedic is upwards of 1000 hours with a lot of clinical time. In what time frame are you planning to move to the States? I personally would move out West or Down South.

- HAZMAT

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
You are going to find the chance to do any of this difficult to impossible.

The United States has the most hideously complex and laborious immigration policy on the planet. I have dealt with it first hand and it's a nightmare.

A student visa for a Paramedic program is going to be difficult (to say the least) and any chance of immigration based upon a Paramedic certificate is going to be next to impossible as it is not a speciality profession, does not require an undergraduate degree and is not in short supply (i.e. not a job that cannot be filled domestically).

I have seen a few British guys spend upwards of several years and 20-30,000 pounds in an attempt to work the system and fail.

Remember too, the United States has some of the lowest education and entry to practice standards in the developed world.

Not to burst your bubble mate but look elsewhere or if you do want to head to the US look towards at least a Bachelors Degree in nursing or perhaps a Masters.

OP
OP
stormy

stormy

Forum Ride Along
wooo, it's really so difficult...I didn't know that. Is it the same in every state??
thanks for the advices...;)

JeffDHMC

Forum Lieutenant
I work with a Russian, Mexican, Irishman and some other lads that talk funny. I say go for it.

My only question is why? I love Spain, I want to live and die in Spain. You are better off there.

Jeff

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Someone in my class is from Spain. He came here and joined the military, they helped him become a citizen. He's now reserves and is going through our EMT course and will become a firefighter. It took him many years to get to this point and the military really helped him out a lot.

TxRookie

Forum Probie
I agree with Jeff. Geez.....I am even planning on getting my paramedic cert, gain experience and try to move to Spain....Valencia or Murcia. I am doing some research and it looks like the paramedic concept does not exist there.....so not sure if my dream will ever come true!!!