any ER tech's in here?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I see that you can pick up a lot of experience as a ED tech. Ive been struggling to get a job as a basic for a little while becuase 1. I have only had my basic for a few months and other than my ride alongs and some first responder for events, i dont really have any experience and 2. Beacuse i go to school out of state, most companies arent hiring for summer employment only and are asking for a minimum of 6 months (understandable but frustrating). Would it benefit me to work in an ED before i start applying for ambulance positions. I'm technically in region III MA but am looking in other regions as well. Also, does anyone know of any MA companies hiring for summer postions?

A lot of EDs (at least the ones I'm familiar with) won't hire a fresh EMT w/ no experience, or an EMT just looking for summer work... If you want to just work summer apply at places like amusement parks

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
thanks for the tip jeremy as its like that at the dialysis clinic i work at. the only difference is that in dialysis we see the same patients and in the ER its the whole world !

interview went great i got hired on the spot ! i start in 2 weeks. the 2 other candidates that were before me were not properly dressed bec i was in a suit lol i felt a little over dressed but it did the job. oh and i used to live in chandler i miss that super hot heat out there lol

Congratulations on getting the job,perhaps you were more prepared than you thought. I think having a health care background was a big plus,many of the applicants for tech jobs have little to no patient care experience in the hospital setting. Most job offers are not extended on the spot so you must have really impressed them. Do you have any idea how many applications they received for the position? Our last on call position in the peds ED brought in 200 applications before they removed the posting.

The job market is getting tighter and you picked the right time to get in. I just received an e-mail from my facility informing everyone that there were big changes coming including "slowing down on filling open positions in all areas,not a hiring freeze but almost". We are a non profit and It has taken a while for the economy to start nipping at the heels of the ones upstairs but its for sure a sign of lean times ahead. Once again stellar job and enjoy the position.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

dslprod

Forum Crew Member
Congratulations on getting the job,perhaps you were more prepared than you thought. I think having a health care background was a big plus,many of the applicants for tech jobs have little to no patient care experience in the hospital setting. Most job offers are not extended on the spot so you must have really impressed them. Do you have any idea how many applications they received for the position? Our last on call position in the peds ED brought in 200 applications before they removed the posting.

The job market is getting tighter and you picked the right time to get in. I just received an e-mail from my facility informing everyone that there were big changes coming including "slowing down on filling open positions in all areas,not a hiring freeze but almost". We are a non profit and It has taken a while for the economy to start nipping at the heels of the ones upstairs but its for sure a sign of lean times ahead. Once again stellar job and enjoy the position.

thanks, yes i believe my healthcare background is one of the things that help me get this position. i dont know how many applicants there were but the hiring coordinator did tell me they had to turn down an LVN bec she was overqualified and that they were only looking for emt b's i was there with 2 other applicants and to me they werent dressed very proper for an interview but im glad i got the job.

what surprised me was that theyve never had any er techs at this hospital they finally decided to implement this position this year. they were only looking to hire 2 techs

trust me the job market really sucks and im very fortunate to be getting one or a new job at that.

wildmed

Forum Crew Member
lucid,
If we are talking about the same person, im pretty sure that they teach all their techs how to do foleys at that hospital. I was under the impression you have to have a basic rhythms and a 12 lead ECG class as well in order to be a tech there. I know that they don't let there transport techs transport people on a monitor if they have not taken them.
Some of the other hospitals in the area (denver) require that you have taken a Medical terminology class. Others require that you are both a CNA and an EMT-B to even be considered.

P.S. Acc really gives you 100hrs of clinicals? Thats awesome! I thought the class was only 80 hours total.