Any EMS in Ft Worth, Tx for Part Time / Temporary?

White Cloud

Forum Probie
I am looking to see if anyone knows of any EMS companies in the Ft Worth area (Not Dallas) who might be willing to hire part time and temporarily. I just got my certification in, so I have no experience. I would be willing to work IFT.

If you want to know the reasoning behind this, read the wall of text below. Please post or PM me any information that you may have.

Short Story: I am having a family emergency and I need a temporary job while I am in town to help. I also have a two month old son at home who I'd like to provide for.

Long Story: I had been waiting for my certification to come in so as the holidays are coming up, I decided to leave South Texas to visit my mother and grandparents in Ft Worth. As luck would have it, my grandfather (83) broke his arm back in July, had pins put in and had a spat with MRSA. He had just recently got better, when we realized he wasn't feeling well and his arm was swelling and getting red. We took him to the ER Friday night and they admitted him. He is looking at more surgery, and a big step backwards in recovery for this 83 year old man. My grandmother has multiple sclerosis and cannot do many things around the house on her own.

My mother and sister, who moved in with my grandparents to help are the only real family we have. My mother took off for nearly 2 months to help back in the summer and does not have that option now.

I know this is a long shot, but if anyone knows someone that knows someone that knows someone, please ask them if they would be willing to hire me on temporarily; Possibly up to two months.

Thanks
Ryan

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Why are you limiting yourself to just Ft Worth, and not Dallas?

MedStar has the majority of IFT in the city locked down. CareFlite does some, and AMRs Arlington branch does some around the Hurst area.

Every other EMS agency is east of Arlington.

OP
OP
W

White Cloud

Forum Probie
Why are you limiting yourself to just Ft Worth, and not Dallas?

MedStar has the majority of IFT in the city locked down. CareFlite does some, and AMRs Arlington branch does some around the Hurst area.

Every other EMS agency is east of Arlington.

I am on the West side of Forth Worth (820 and Jacksboro Hwy.) I think it would be easier on myself if I can work around here without having to commute to Dallas.

My grandmother, at this time, needs to be taken to Harris Methodist every day to spend the day with my Grandfather, and will most likely need daily transportation from home to a rehab facility afterwards.

I'd rather not have to drive clear across Dallas for part time income. However, I guess if there is an option and someone willing to work with me, I would do it. This whole thing is a long shot in the first place.

From what I read, Medstar probably wont hire a new EMT, not to mention on a temporary and part time basis. There's plenty of other EMS services, IFT services, that I have been finding. I just need to contact them and explore my options.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Well like I said, MedStar has the vast majority of Tarrant county, followed by CareFlite, and then AMR in the northeast. There isn't any other normal IFT company in Ft Worth. There are a couple that do standbys that you can check out.

There's Soldiers, but they run out of Mansfield, and honestly, I'm not too keen about running around in an ambulance painted yellow and black with flames, or has a DMX rap song play the moment you go on to their website...

All the other big ones, TLC, Guardian, LoneStar, Halo, etc etc, are on the Dallas side of the metroplex.

AMR would be your best bet for part time, but the Tarrant county truck is out of the Arlington branch and they aren't looking for EMTs, right now. Dallas is always looking for EMTs and is flexible with their part timers, to where you only need to do 48hours a month (4x12hrs)

studiocaff

Forum Ride Along
Fort Worth

Medstar will not allow you to go part time until you have worked at the company full time for at least one year. If you want to work part time as an EMT in Tarrant County, your best bet is to apply to be a tech in a clinic or hospital. There just aren't any other 911 options in the county, except AMR Arlington, and good luck getting in there as an EMT... the market is crowded at this point.

OP
OP
W

White Cloud

Forum Probie
Medstar will not allow you to go part time until you have worked at the company full time for at least one year. If you want to work part time as an EMT in Tarrant County, your best bet is to apply to be a tech in a clinic or hospital. There just aren't any other 911 options in the county, except AMR Arlington, and good luck getting in there as an EMT... the market is crowded at this point.

Thats good news. I'm not limiting myself to just rolling around in a vehicle. I'm open to anything that I can use my certification with.

Thanks for this advice, I'll see what I can pursue in that direction.

Ryan

OP
OP
W

White Cloud

Forum Probie
As far as working as a tech in a clinic or hospital what specific jobs should I be looking out for? Do EMT-Basics have the same scope of practice as ECAs or what?

Just trying to figure out what it is that I should be looking out for.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
You will never see an ECA inside a hospital. They are below EMT (no offense MMIZ) and don't meet the minimum certification many hospitals require, which is MA / EMT / CNA.

Some hospitals, such as Cook Childrens, will NOT hire you because you are not a Paramedic, and that is the only certification they will accept as a tech because they actually allow their techs to do stuff. Yes... some hospitals allow techs to start IVs but not flush the line....

The title you'll usually see is "Patient Care Technician", and you MIGHT be starting IVs or doing foleys, but most hospitals around here are moving away from letting non-Paramedic techs from starting IVs or doing anything invasive. As to what you can do, well, depends on what the doc asks you to do.

OP
OP
W

White Cloud

Forum Probie
You will never see an ECA inside a hospital. They are below EMT (no offense MMIZ) and don't meet the minimum certification many hospitals require, which is MA / EMT / CNA.

Some hospitals, such as Cook Childrens, will NOT hire you because you are not a Paramedic, and that is the only certification they will accept as a tech because they actually allow their techs to do stuff. Yes... some hospitals allow techs to start IVs but not flush the line....

The title you'll usually see is "Patient Care Technician", and you MIGHT be starting IVs or doing foleys, but most hospitals around here are moving away from letting non-Paramedic techs from starting IVs or doing anything invasive. As to what you can do, well, depends on what the doc asks you to do.

I actually just spoke with the RN that is taking care of my grandfather tonight, up at Harris in Ft Worth. She said that they hire EMT-Bs for techs in the ER, but she wasn't sure what all they do. I am going to look more into it though.