Annual issue: Dogs left in Cars

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu9Og8y4-fI&feature=youtu.be

Yes, this was a sunny day in Sacramento around noon, but a morning temp of 77deg F converts to an internal temperature of over 90 deg F.

A 90 degree exterior temp here translated to a seat temp of over 160 deg F (one hour exposure ); I've taken interior air temps of my cars in similar circumstances and the AIR was over 130 deg F.

Even the little photovoltaic window fans can't cope with that. Leave the dog home , with a friend, or at a kennel. (DO NOT leave it at a dog park!!!!).<_<

PS: same for kids....except for the home alone or kennel deals...

Last edited by a moderator:

RustyShackleford

Forum Crew Member
"You can judge a society on the way they treat their animals".......

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

...either by under esteeming them, or esteeming them over the sick, elderly and the young. (Take that, Paris Hilton).

I was surprised to learn how many countries allow dog fighting, especially in eastern Europe and SW Asia.

TB 3541

Forum Lieutenant
Just a few months ago, nearing the end of winter, I was dining at a local fast food restaurant when a woman came in yelling obscenities and demanding to know who owned the truck in the parking lot with the dog in it. When nobody claimed it, she threatened to smash the windows out and call 911 for "animal cruelty". Needless to say, the woman was asked by the management to leave the premises immediately. Normally, I would have felt sympathy, but on that day it was less than 50 degrees F and as I left, I saw the dog, not even panting.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Very interesting. So I would assume cooling down a dog in severe distress, you do it the same way as a human. Cold packs, cool water, remove to a cooler environment.

bigbaldguy

Just a few months ago, nearing the end of winter, I was dining at a local fast food restaurant when a woman came in yelling obscenities and demanding to know who owned the truck in the parking lot with the dog in it. When nobody claimed it, she threatened to smash the windows out and call 911 for "animal cruelty". Needless to say, the woman was asked by the management to leave the premises immediately. Normally, I would have felt sympathy, but on that day it was less than 50 degrees F and as I left, I saw the dog, not even panting.

I take my dog everywhere with me when it's cool out but as soon as it starts getting warm she either comes in with me (most places are cool with it where I live) or she has to stay home.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Same as for Korean Air Lines passengers left on the tarmac awaiting takeoff without air conditioning. :blink:

Add fans. Move that air.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Bed of a pickup truck (or sometimes pavement) is no better on their feet in the sun. I've seen blistered foot pads.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
and that my friends is why spring loaded center punches were invented...

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

...and rocks.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Rock as hammer.

Rock-Glass-Hand: Rock shatters glass. Glass cuts hand. Hand holds rock.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Our vet-tech folks can tell you also, a panting dog looks like it is smiling unless you know the clues, like staring eyes and rapid head movements. (To make dogs smile in photos we run em for a bit first).

Or put em in a Korean Air Lines 737 in Dallas-Fort Worth

Epi-do

I see dead people
But my dogs always look like they are smiling. They are very happy. Or, it could just be the drugs we slip into their food....

Seriously though, I will never understand why people will do this to their kids, or their pets. I can't help but think how horrible it must be for the poor things when they are stuck in that hot car, cooking to death, and can't do anything to get out of the situation.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Some people don't consider animals. Period. ANd when I see cell phone entranced "adults" walking obliviously fifty feet ahead of their little offspring down the street, never looking back, kid lugging big school backpack....it's just an extension.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I take Papo with me when reasonable, but I don't leave him in the truck unless it's cool inside and out and won't get warmer. He does love the whole 'sticking his head out' thing, and he loves car rides.

Attachments

• papo in the 91.jpg
    papo in the 91.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 213
  • papo watches all.jpg
    papo watches all.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 220

bigbaldguy

I take Papo with me when reasonable, but I don't leave him in the truck unless it's cool inside and out and won't get warmer. He does love the whole 'sticking his head out' thing, and he loves car rides.

Careful someone in EP will jack your dog.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients

I love that truck. I can hear the key in the ignition buzz all the way from 1989. Better shut the door before the pup has a seizure.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
and that my friends is why spring loaded center punches were invented...

See dog
Press center punch on window till window breaks
Walk away as dog hops out of car window, leaving note that says "Shoulda left pooch at home"

Win.