Anatomy help

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Ok I have a test tomorrow, we're studying the endocrine system, maybe one of you can clarify this for me.

One of the short answer questions is how the hypothalamus regulates the pituitary gland. Going through the book It's really only explaining how the hormones diffuse from the hypothalamus into the pituitary gland with all this jumble about the "primary plexus of the hypophyseal portal system" (I may as well be reading latin).

Any ideas? I think I've been reading this stuff too much and now I can't find what I'm looking for, maybe if I get the right idea I'll find what I need...I'll keep looking any help would be great.

Thanks guys!

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I found this cute site: http://www.sirinet.net/~jgjohnso/endoreview.html

And I found this snippet on a site talking about acromegaly and gigantism:
The pituitary is a small gland located at the base of the brain. A gland is a collection of cells that releases certain chemicals, or hormones, which are important to the functioning of other organs or body systems. The pituitary hormones travel throughout the body and are involved in a large number of activities, including the regulation of growth and reproductive functions. The cause of acromegaly can be traced to the pituitary's production of GH.

Under normal conditions, the pituitary receives input from another brain structure, the hypothalamus, located at the base of the brain. This input from the hypothalamus regulates the pituitary's release of hormones. For example, the hypothalamus produces growth hormone-releasing hormone (GHRH), which directs the pituitary to release GH. Input from the hypothalamus should also direct the pituitary to stop releasing hormones.

OP
OP
Wingnut

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Thankyou!!!!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Jan 21 2005, 12:20 PM
I found this cute site: http://www.sirinet.net/~jgjohnso/endoreview.html

And I found this snippet on a site talking about acromegaly and gigantism:
The pituitary is a small gland located at the base of the brain. A gland is a collection of cells that releases certain chemicals, or hormones, which are important to the functioning of other organs or body systems. The pituitary hormones travel throughout the body and are involved in a large number of activities, including the regulation of growth and reproductive functions. The cause of acromegaly can be traced to the pituitary's production of GH.

Under normal conditions, the pituitary receives input from another brain structure, the hypothalamus, located at the base of the brain. This input from the hypothalamus regulates the pituitary's release of hormones. For example, the hypothalamus produces growth hormone-releasing hormone (GHRH), which directs the pituitary to release GH. Input from the hypothalamus should also direct the pituitary to stop releasing hormones.
Darn - I saw a link about anatomy with RescueCpt

Then I read it
:(

Jon