amputee bp?

Epi-do

I see dead people
Sounds like a thalidomide baby.

But back to the BP question...

Rather than the technique, has anyone considered why they are taking a BP?

It seems like it would be a quantitative assessment of perfusion status?

In the absence of quantitative assessment of perfusion, perhaps documenting qualitative (physical findings) of perfusion would be appropriate?

Afterall, if the actual measurement were required for the patient condition, wouldn't there be an invasive BP device?

Solve for Y.

It's really just one more piece of the puzzle that helps you form a better picture of what is going on with your patient. Skin condition, LOC, and cap refill can also help in assessing perfusion. I am sure there are others as well, but that is what comes to mind immediately. I use a BP, combined with other parts of my assessment, to assist me in determining if my patient is sick, and if so, just how sick. A single BP by itself doesn't tell me much. If it's literally the only thing I have, it's just random numbers.

In the instance of the patient I mentioned, he was returning to a private residence after an extended hospital stay. We were nothing more than a taxi ride. Quite honestly, he didn't need me to do anything for him and were I not required to do an assessment by my employer, in that particular instance, I would have just kicked back and done nothing.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Sounds like a thalidomide baby.

But back to the BP question...

Rather than the technique, has anyone considered why they are taking a BP?

Solve for Y.

Because the billers tell me they need two sets of vitals or they can't bill.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Because the billers tell me they need two sets of vitals or they can't bill.

Glad I'm not the only one. Back when we had call bonuses, our paperwork needed - among other things - three sets of V/S, regardless of patient condition or transport time.

The patient is going across the street to work out the rest of their psych hold? Three sets.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've assessed a BP during the six months I've had at my stand by job

Sasha

Forum Chief
Glad I'm not the only one. Back when we had call bonuses, our paperwork needed - among other things - three sets of V/S, regardless of patient condition or transport time.

The patient is going across the street to work out the rest of their psych hold? Three sets.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've assessed a BP during the six months I've had at my stand by job

Two PTAs and a fresh set

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
If someone has no arms were do you get a BP? Ive heard leg but what part and I also heard side makes a difference.
How would they call 911?

Sasha

Forum Chief
How would they call 911?

Voice activated phones, with their feet or asking "hey can you call the ambulance for me?"

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant