Amiodarone vs. Lidocaine

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
Ok, I am wondering why the AHA is pushing Amiodarone now vs. Lidocaine...aside from the fact that the makers of Amiodarone gave AHA a huge donation in the part few years. Our director came to us from a service that uses Amiodarone and he feels that there isnt much pre-hospital difference in efficacy vs. Lidocaine...plus Amiodarone is much more expensive than Lidocaine. So I hope that maybe you guys can give me some example you may have run across in the field in your neck of the woods. As a note we are still currently using Lidocaine, but just was wondering.

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
C'mon you should know that the AHA will change their criteria for who ever is making the largest donation. Its politics and money making.

As for Lidocaine v. Amiodarone - I dont know enough about either of these drugs to make an educated guess except that our local EMS carries and uses Lidocaine.

OP
OP
F

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
I suspected that the $$ was the main reason for the change...but I am seeing a whole slew of people taking the amiodarone at home in tablet form...thats why I was wondering about the difference in the IV form vs the Lidocaine.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Cordorone has been an antiarrythmic medication for several years. Way before AHA placed it in into the algorythm. I suggest looking at the AHA studies. More and more physicians are utilizing Amiadrone in V-tach, and ectopi with success. As with others there has not been much change in V-fib.

Although there has been rumors of contribution and monetary exchange, AHA has released a statement in regard of that and the fincancial funding as well.

I am quite aware of funding and influence, but also aware that close monitoring of studies as well.

Be safe.
R/R 911
RN,CCRN,CEN,CCEMT/P,NREMT/P & all the other vowels & still learning

Last edited by a moderator: