Ambulance Vouyerism?

masquedxangel

Forum Crew Member
So today I was driving back to work from lunch and I saw an ambulance running hot back to the hospital. In my area you don't touch the lights/sirens on the way to the hospital unless there's someone either coding or about to in the back, not sure it's the same everywhere.

Well my first thought was "!!! AMBULANCE! PERSON inside? Lights! Sirens! Person inside doing something interesting! MUST SEE!" and I swung into a nearby parking lot and tried to find a spot that let me see. There was a darn bush in my way so I couldn't -grumble- but darned if I didn't try.

So. Um... did anyone else ever...well, do that? While taking your first EMT classes? >.> Do you suppose this means I'm well-suited for being an EMT, or I'm just a creepy person? XD

RDUNNE

Forum Crew Member
cant say ive ever done that, nor have i know anyone to do that.....im voting creepy person.:wacko: lol

rmellish

Forum Captain
It's a normal urge until you have a card and the slightest bit of street experience I'd say.

The curiosity part I mean. I never actually followed an ambulance, that seems a bit ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

masquedxangel

Forum Crew Member
Oh thank goodness that urge fades? Lol. I'm dying to get started on my clinicals, I'm a very "just toss me in, coach!" sort of person lol.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Are you sure this is the career path for you?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
How do you know they were driving to the hospital?

And SOP, atleast here, is if a code happens inside of the truck, you pull over and work it... unless you're one of "those" people.

OP
OP
M

masquedxangel

Forum Crew Member
I know because I was at the hospital parking lot when they pulled into the hospital unloading zone. O_O; We are a very small town lol. I work about 5min away from the hospital.

What're "those" people? My instructors said in class the other night that if someone starts coding the driver flips the lights on to get them to the hospital ASAP.

(and dumb question ... what's SOP? I'm not up on all of the acronyms yet)

Sasha

Forum Chief
Uh no. I've never had the urge to invade a patient's privacy by trying to peek into the back of an ambulance.

I'm glad you couldn't see, you shouldn't have. People like you are the reason one of my old partners would hang a sheet over the back window at the start of a shift.

I'm always sad to read about rubbernecking behavior from a person entering or in EMS. It's a shame.

OP
OP
M

masquedxangel

Forum Crew Member
I wasn't exactly ninja'ing up the ramp to hover, I was just fascinated by it I suppose, so I wanted to see what was going on. I got out of traffic to do so, so I didn't put anyone in danger.

Wasn't aware being curious was a disqualification for being in EMS. o_O;

I was more interested in seeing what happened as they took the patient out and headed inside since I've never seen it first hand.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
"Those" people are the ones that drive to an ED during a code just so the pt wouldn't "die" in their truck, but at the ED.

SOP = standard operating procedure.

JustMarti

Forum Probie
Curiosity is normal. Thankfully you got out of traffic and watched from a safe distance.

SOP= Standard Operating Procedure

Good Luck in class!

OP
OP
M

masquedxangel

Forum Crew Member
Ooooooh. I think the protocol here is to try to get the Pt to the ER to increase quality of care but I could be wrong, maybe we are "Those" people here lol.

Aha, SOP. That makes sense now.

ETA: Thanks Marti. I thought it was normal too...kinda thought most people did it... but I was doubting myself for a moment there.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Don't get me wrong, there are times to drive code to the hospital, but in reality, driving code to the hospital just increases you risk of an accident.

OP
OP
M

masquedxangel

Forum Crew Member
True. One of our instructors really wishes they could take the lights and sirens off all of the ambulances so the newbies will stop running hot for everything and driving like maniacs.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
That's a problem that has to be corrected at the instructor level, not the manufacturer.

I don't want to risk my safety on the side of the road because some idiot who likes to drive code got the lights taken off.

mikie

Forum Lurker
We all were whackers once...

I think at the beginning, at least for me, we all got a little 'rush' by the fancy lights & sirens.

It fades.

Now, if I hear a lot of sirens outside, I might have a looksee out the window. But I don't plan on following the noise (unless it is within walking distance ;)).

OP
OP
M

masquedxangel

Forum Crew Member
Lol yeah it was just happenstance that I was there, I didn't follow the ambulance I just pulled into the nearby parking lot. I really wish I'd been able to see, I was eager to see what it looks like when a real EMT team pulls the stretcher out and heads in 'cause I suspect it doesn't exactly mimic TV lol.

mikie

Forum Lurker
In time young Jedi...

Lol yeah it was just happenstance that I was there, I didn't follow the ambulance I just pulled into the nearby parking lot. I really wish I'd been able to see, I was eager to see what it looks like when a real EMT team pulls the stretcher out and heads in 'cause I suspect it doesn't exactly mimic TV lol.

I see that you're a student. Have you not started your clinical/'ride-alongs' ? ...save the voyerism or whatever you called it and just wait till you actually get out there and see it for yourself. It's way cooler :)

Last thing you want to do is cause an accident just cause you wanted to see an ambulance go to pick up grandpa down the road.

OP
OP
M

masquedxangel

Forum Crew Member
No, Clinical ride-alongs aren't for another month. Bah.

And like I said, I pulled into a parking lot and parked, so I wasn't creating any danger, I was just eager to get a look at what I'd be involved in soon. I really can't wait to get started lol. I'm such a dork.