Ambulance license California question

Xciceroguy

Forum Ride Along
DMV website is a little confusing, what exactly do I need to bring with me when I take my ambulance written test?

SurfEMT

Forum Probie
DMV website is a little confusing, what exactly do I need to bring with me when I take my ambulance written test?
You'll need your valid State EMT card (and bring our CPR/BLS card too; I was once asked). You'll need to have a Medical Examiner's Certificate from someone who is on the registry to do DMV Physicals. Many Urgent Care chains are on that system. It's now different than a few years ago where you went anywhere and had the form filled out and signed by a medical professional. Now, the medical people have to be Nationally registered with a registration number and be on the computer system where they file your the results of your physical electronically. "MCSA 5876" is at the top corner of the Medical Examiner's Certificate form; not the old DL-51 which was discontinued a few years ago. At the DMV, take the written test and pass. The DMV will keep the top white copy, and give you a Yellow and Pink copy of the Cert (you can give the Pink to your employer as proof you applied; it's stamped and signed by the DMV clerk). You'll get your white copy Ambulance Driver Certificate (DL-61) in the mail in a few weeks. All these forms are on the internet. After a few weeks, it will also show on your H-6 driving record that your Medical Examiner's Cert is current. The ambulance driver license is current in the same time frame as your regular Driver License. It will expire when your regular Driver license expires. So if your DL is about to expire, renew your DL at that time so both of the certs are now on the same 5-year time frame. Otherwise, if you get an Ambulance Driver Cert in March, 2018, and your CA DL expires in July, 2018, your Amb also expires in July, 2018, so you'll be back at the DMV in July renewing them both.