ambulance equipment to help with diluting drugs

mbd410

Forum Ride Along
Is there any kind of equipment on an ambulance that would help dilute a drug with a solvent? For instance, if you had to dilute morphine to make it a 1 mg per ml concentration, is there something on the ambulance to help do that?

Thanks...

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Yes.. any IV fluid is used. Preferably Saline or Sterile Water (injectable type not the type in a bottle).

reaper

Working Bum
We have the 10ml saline flushes. We use those for diluting MS, if needed. We also carry 50ml bags of d5w and saline, just for that.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I see the saline flushes used a lot... you just removed 1 or 2 cc's of fluid, then draw the med into the saline syringe.

A caveat - you NEED TO LABEL THIS - quickly and obviously. The last thing you need to do is give 5mg MS slow IVP, then grab the other 5mg and use it as a flush when you start a 2nd IV line. Mistakes happen... but usually they aren't accidents, they are because we are careless.

reaper

Working Bum
If I have any meds left, I tape the syringe to my shirt. This way I know where it is at all times. It never gets lost and is right there when I need it.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
If I have any meds left, I tape the syringe to my shirt. This way I know where it is at all times. It never gets lost and is right there when I need it.
Reaper - I've seen lots of RN's do the same thing in hospital.