ambulance driver insurance?

rpal1211

Forum Ride Along
Just went to an interview and they turned me down because I'm not 21, so the insurance company won't insure me to drive the ambulance. Is this the way it is with all ambulance companies? I wish I knew this before I spent my summer getting my EMT-B certification..

medic_texas

Forum Crew Member
Most EMS services require you to be 21, you may look at being a Tech in the ER or a dispatcher until you're 21. That's what I did, I was on-call at a transfer service when I turned 21 and worked full time as a dispatcher.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Just went to an interview and they turned me down because I'm not 21, so the insurance company won't insure me to drive the ambulance. Is this the way it is with all ambulance companies? I wish I knew this before I spent my summer getting my EMT-B certification..

It is typical for most agencies.

Have you considered trying to get on with a private BLS transfer company? With 2 B's on the truck, you wouldn't have to drive.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
1: How old are you?
2: Where do you live?

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
Look into private companies. Some will allow anyone over 18 to drive as long as their DMV 10 year printout is ok.

JCampbell

Forum Crew Member
Our private service here and all the others I know of around here won't hire drivers under 21. That being said, we have EMT's who are 19. They just don't drive. Our service and others in the area will hire "Non-Driver" EMTs. They make $.75 less per hour than a EMT Driver. That's $13.00 instead of $13.75 so not a great loss of pay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob123

Forum Crew Member
FYI, My Volunteer Corps requires that you're over 25 with a clean driver's record.
It's funny watching the 16/17 year old CFRs complain about that policy.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I got hired by an IFT company at 20 to be an attend only... granted they did it because they knew I turned 21 in about 6 months from when they hired me

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
TBH. 19 year olds have *NO* business driving an ambulance. Yes, I am 19. But having a partner who is also 19 has really showed me the maturity levels.

Am I going to stop working because I'm 19? No. I have an 11/hour job practically in So-Cal. It's still not enough to live on, but it's better than mostly everyone else, especially at this age.

This is nothing against you, but at I don't think we have the driving experience to be able to properly driving an ambulance Code 3 and the maturity to make the most safe decisions and transport decisions on priority to the hospital...

EDIT: Idk how texas is, but if you want a job, look into IFT companies.

OP
OP
R

rpal1211

Forum Ride Along
Yeah, maybe. I know that I'm not a jackass when it comes to driving, but there are a lot of people my age who drive like crap without lights and sirens. I don't have a great driving record either, so it looks like I'll be S.O.L. until I'm 21.

Oh, and what's IFT?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
IFT = Inter Facility Transfer... like nursing home to hospital, or hospital to hospital.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Its also not unheard of for companies to not allow people under 25 to drive.

Really? I think that limit is a bit high. I'm 24 with a spotless driving record, a husband and a family. :glare: Hopefully that's not an issue for the companies I'm going for around here.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Really? I think that limit is a bit high. I'm 24 with a spotless driving record, a husband and a family. :glare: Hopefully that's not an issue for the companies I'm going for around here.

Agreed with that, 21 is a fine limit.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Yeah, maybe. I know that I'm not a jackass when it comes to driving, but there are a lot of people my age who drive like crap without lights and sirens. I don't have a great driving record either, so it looks like I'll be S.O.L. until I'm 21.

Oh, and what's IFT?

What do you mean not great driving record? If it's too bad that can mean you're SOL for a lot longer than til you turn 21

OP
OP
R

rpal1211

Forum Ride Along
What do you mean not great driving record? If it's too bad that can mean you're SOL for a lot longer than til you turn 21

Two wrecks, one at fault one not at fault (if that matters in the insurance companies eyes). Had a speeding ticket, but it should be off my record now since I did deferred payment/defensive driving. So am I screwed?

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
*I* have no idea, but I'm willing to bet they would want to know the circumstances of the wreck.