Ambulance Associations

frogtat2

Forum Crew Member
Our ambulance director brought up the subject of starting an ambulance association for our ambulance service. I wanted to know if anyone could tell me about the associations they belong to, what bylaws they have, what they pay for dues etc. Any comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

John Legg

Forum Probie
Are you referring to a public membership such as a discounted rate for transport? Please clarify.

Locally, our service (a Public Utility Model) has an annual membership program for the community. It's offered once per year, cost $59/yr. The basic principle is simple. Should your primary insurance carrier deem the transport necessary, the program will cover the deductible. However, should the carrier deny the claim, the membership program will NOT pay and the patient will still receive the entire bill. If you would like to contact me offline, I can forward information as an example.

John Legg
National EMS Association

OP
OP
F

frogtat2

Forum Crew Member
association

My boss was referring to an association of our EMT's. If we had an association then we could do fundraisers etc and the money we made could be placed in an account that we had control over....to purchase coats, uniforms etc.

John Legg

Forum Probie
You must have been reading my mind with your personal message.

As I understand it, you are volunteers that are covered only by workers comp. No other compensation. That takes a great deal of dedication and I applaud you.

You train the community and the hospital takes the profit? Who pays for instructional supplies? What does your newspaper say about the situation (hint hint)

John Legg
National EMS Association

Last edited by a moderator:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
An Association tends to be more of a professional support organization, for negotiating contracts, solving workplace grievances and issues. I think what your boss is looking for is more of a foundation or auxillary unit. I have set up several of these. It's actually pretty easy to do depending on your state business regulations. You need to start a non-profit corporation. It's up to you if you want to go through the Fed's 501c3 process, it's a pain in the tukus but does widen your grant pool.

You will need a governing body for the organization, a set of bylaws and a determination of what happens to the assets of the organization when and if it folds. The beauty of this type of organization is that the members of it get to determine how the money is spent.

John Legg

Forum Probie
Excellent advice. In fact, my experience is with the representation side of things. Sounds like BossyCow is a good source for you to enlist.

OP
OP
F

frogtat2

Forum Crew Member
association

Thanks Bossy Cow........ I appreciate your comment and information.:rolleyes:

OP
OP
F

frogtat2

Forum Crew Member
John, Thank you for your comment. The hospital pays for the instructional supplies. We furnish the instructors. We haven't brought it to the attention of the newspaper or community. A good idea though......... I will pass it on the the boss.

John Legg

Forum Probie
Lovell, WY? Ironically, long ago, in a previous life it seems, I lived in Jackson. Absolutely loved it. Hated leaving. A life style that I've never found again.

Moved to attend Paramedic School back East. Never made it back. Jobs are hard to be found for medics there. When I left, there were only something like 40 nationally registered paramedics in the state.

Just joked to my wife about her HTN today. "Don't stroke before I get you moved back to Wyoming." That's her long term anti-hypertension goal. She said I would probably just wait until she's unable to make decisions, then ship her with the dogs.......

I still dream about Wyoming. Frequently.