Amazing article regarding Obama care and Fire-based EMS

http://firechief.com/ems/how-competition-obamacare-will-change-future-fire-based-ems

This was a very surprising find during my ongoing research into The Affordable Health Care Ac. I must say that I am impressed that someone of this caliber is finally acknowledging the viability of such a model in the face of a tumultuous future for EMS as well as healthcare as a whole.

Basically, this chief is bringing to light, rather superficially but, alas, issues that fire-based EMS systems will face during such an uncertain time. Things like evidence-based treatment and community paramedicine, etc. Will fire-based EMS departments adapt and try to be rational in the way that they operate when so much emphasis will be placed on cost-effectiveness in th future? (I'm mainly focused on transporting departments. Also, I don't want to seem like I'm all for Private companies, I just have more issues with one than the other.)

Or will we still see million dollar tillers, ambulances, and massive fire engines with 4-8 Paramedics roaring through the streets of Los Angeles with lights and sirens, for example, to little old Mrs. tinkelbottom's house because she has severe toe pain?

I see so much money being wasted day in and day out in EMS and I have been truly amazed how effective the "hero" effect can blind people's skepticism.

I'm tired of working with and seeing people get into EMS because they think it's just another cert on their way to the fire side (which it has become) while seemingly resenting every day they have to be on an ambulance. Not everyone is like that but I have seen enough people act indifferent to the thought of being a provider of MEDICINE enough to be discouraged. I believe this attitude follows a majority of people throughout their career and that's why EMS in certain areas is sorely lacking. Why force them to treat as well as transport when they wanted out in the first place and then expect them to be willing to be community Paramedics? I know this isn't all of them but it is a large majority.

This article just got me thinking about all of these cities I have been hearing about wanting to switch over to Fire-based EMS only. Cities like Colorado springs, Las Vegas, and many others. It is not a well guarded secret that many fire unions are influencing those politicians behind closed doors. That's not my main issue. My issue is wether or not they are underestimating how much of a game changer Obama Care is going to be for EMS. Are they planning accordingly? Are efforts underway to truly benefit the citizens of these cities with an optimum EMS system that is prepared for the future or are they the efforts of departments that are getting hit hard financially and want to grab onto the cash cow that is medical transport while they have the chance?

Considering that millions of people finally having health insurance next year and now won't have to worry so much about the ambulance bill will result in astronomical amounts of increased patients being transported, how will these departments vying for sole treatment/transport deal with this? What efforts are underway? How can they be cost effective? And seriously, why does there have to be 6 Paramedics on scene?

All in all, I'm glad someone brought up the difficulties these agencies will face but I'm still not optimistic change will be coming any time soon. Privates and third services are not totally absolved either for that matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
You raise good points until you got to here:

I'm tired of working with and seeing people get into EMS because they think it's just another cert on their way to the fire side (which it has become) while seemingly resenting every day they have to be on an ambulance. Not everyone is like that but I have seen enough people act indifferent to the thought of being a provider of MEDICINE enough to be discouraged.

Yawn. In the business world we have the same thing with the "quality" or "sourcing" areas. Folks take certain jobs in the hope of transitioning to quality or sourcing. They make more money and do way less work than the rest of us.

Who wouldn't want to do that? Can you blame them?

You could always move to to a State where a Paramedic cert won't help you get on with a fire department (in NC it would be except for a very select few depts).

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
You raise good points until you got to here:

Yawn. In the business world we have the same thing with the "quality" or "sourcing" areas. Folks take certain jobs in the hope of transitioning to quality or sourcing. They make more money and do way less work than the rest of us.

Who wouldn't want to do that? Can you blame them?

You could always move to to a State where a Paramedic cert won't help you get on with a fire department (in NC it would be except for a very select few depts).

I agree here, but we have to remember that he's coming from SoCal, and that crazy area would leave most medically motivated providers frustrated. I'm sure you can sympathize.

To the OP I'm curious to see how this will play out. I'm sure the more ems focused FD's will be relatively unaffected, and others may drop transport because the process of evolving may be too costly.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
To me, you can summarize all the managerial talk in that article in one sentence: EMS is moving away from being part of the "public safety triad", and towards becoming a more integrated part of the larger healthcare system.

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
To me, you can summarize all the managerial talk in that article in one sentence: EMS is moving away from being part of the "public safety triad", and towards becoming a more integrated part of the larger healthcare system.

I agree, but I want to know if departments are preparing for that or if it's going to be a wait and see thing.

Simusid

Forum Captain
That was an interesting read. I'm not part of a fire based service, nor a commercial for profit EMS. We are a private non-profit ALS 911 service. I'll be interested to see how this evolution affects us.

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
We shall see.