Am I insane to even think about this?

*ofLife

Forum Crew Member
If you really feel passionate about it, def. go for it. I think almost everyone here (or at least a high majority) can tell you that when they first got started, someone doubted them and told them they couldn't do it. Look where they are now. Your ability is matched by your passion. Best wishes!

Anomalous

Forum Lieutenant
Am I insane? Merely naive? If I walk through the door of my local station will they laugh their butts off at me?

Didn't you read the National Curriculum? These are requirements!

Don't sweat the other stuff. Half our service is overweight (or underweight), everybody has a busy schedule, and there is a lot of gray hair at our meetings. Our oldest members is 56. He's is a great EMT though. Plus, he makes all his own dresses...(just kidding).

GO FOR IT!!!!

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
Am I insane? Merely naive? If I walk through the door of my local station will they laugh their butts off at me?

I think you just need to be more confident in yourself. And I dont know any Volunteer company that would laugh at anyone new joining. Sure they'll make fun of you, thats how fire departments are but its all in good fun.

When I joined my VFD I was 15. As soon as I joined I was made fun of because thats the way it is. Not made fun of in a haha your ugly way but a break you in to the family type of way.

Doc Kafka

Forum Probie
I would say that at 40, you know yourself very well.

Don't let anyone discourage you from doing something that you obviously have a passion or interest in.

If you want it, go after it. I've encountered women older than 40 who decided that they wanted to be an EMT.

You only live once! Just do it!

OminousFinding

Forum Probie
You're still able bodied, and in addition, you've got 20 years of life experience over those 20 y/o meatheads that are turning out for EMT certification.

I'm 25, and there are 3 40+ guys in there turning out for the volunteer program. One is an ex-cop turned IT professional. The other left his profession and has traveled from another state. The third is a stay-at-home father. I'm silently cheering them on because they've got experience that the other "kids" don't, and they have bigger obligations outside of class. And they are still making this all happen for themselves.

So there. GO DO IT. :)