ALS Mannekin

skyemt

Forum Captain
Our agency is looking to purchase a good quality ALS mannekin for training purposes, both ALS and BLS skills.

can anyone recommend Laerdal, or Heartsim, or any other brand or model?

pros, cons, and ease of use...

thanks...

knxemt1983

Forum Lieutenant
I haven;t got to see any of the new laerdal products, I know they are usually good though. We have a Heartsim at school, and it is great. It takes real breaths, has pulse ox and cardiac monitor capabilities, produces real pulses, the eyes can open and close, and when it comes to airways It can increase the amount of laryngeal edema and swell the tongue. It makes the scenarios much easier, but like I said leardal I am sure has an equivalent model. I would recomend talking to the companies and tell them what you need and see who can suit you best at the best price,

MikeRi24

Forum Crew Member
we have one thats really neat...it has full airway structures, it breathes, has a hearbeat, all puleses, has a blood pressure, we can put stuff in the stomach and make it have a gag reflex and vomit, and so a bunch of other neat stuff too. oh and everything can be controlled by a palm pilot thing. I have no clue who makes it but I'll find out.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
the high end "you can do it all" manikins are very pricey. laerdal makes on that you can:
get vitals(bp, pulse at three spots, hr, rr and l/s)
intubate
needle cric
start iv/push meds
defib/pace/mointor
im probably forgetting something

downside, IIRC they cost 20k+

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Most EMS cannot usually afford "the better" ALS mannequins. As described most start at $15k- $50,000 each that has better or advanced features.

Unless, you offer quite a few courses it is hard to justify such devices, and again the upkeep of those types are expensive as well ($2-3,000).

If one is looking different areas, some are using moulaging mannequins, etc.

R/r 911

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Mega Code Kelly

Skyemt, Check out the Laerdal "Mega Code Kelly" A good training manikin not too badly priced, great training tool. :)

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
http://www.simulaids.com/
we get this catalog at out firehouse and i've looked through it and there looks to be some great training products in there, I have not had the chance to use any of them but figured I would reccomend the site for you