(Almost) Desperate for full time EMS work in Tennessee, PLEASE HELP

Tnaemt94

Forum Crew Member
My income is strapped right now, of course I am trying to build an income at age 21.

All the counties I have inquired about do not hire full time EMTs immediately. Some require you to work part time until a position becomes available (first come first serve) and some don't even hire EMTs full time period.

There are some private, convalescent ambulance services (I don't even consider this "EMS") that will hire full time straight up. But I burnt my bridges at two major private ambulance companies with one being R/M.

Overall, Tennessee is povertish as it is. Factor in the unavailable of full time EMS work makes the situation much worse.

I am good at what I do. I just need to find the right place.

Does it look like I need to look elsewhere? I am licensed in Colorado too and I am highly thinking about taking the bold move to relocate out there for full time work.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
If you burnt a bridge with r/m colorado might not be too much better, as amr now owns them, and amr runs a lot of the non fire,easier to get on with agencies

OP
OP
Tnaemt94

Tnaemt94

Forum Crew Member
If you burnt a bridge with r/m colorado might not be too much better, as amr now owns them, and amr runs a lot of the non fire,easier to get on with agencies

I thought about working with Denver Health or UC EMS or something like that

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Getting Hired at DG as an EMT takes some work.do you have your IV and EKG certs too?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
FT EMT positions aren't particularly easy to get for UC Health either, or at least they weren't a few years ago. You would still need your IV and EKG certs, and most EMTs start out as volunteer reserves, then PRN PT, then FT. There are some good services in CO, but they are competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Tnaemt94

Tnaemt94

Forum Crew Member
FT EMT positions aren't particularly easy to get for UC Health either, or at least they weren't a few years ago. You would still need your IV and EKG certs, and most EMTs start out as volunteer reserves, then PRN PT, then FT. There are some good services in CO, but they are competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am an Advanced EMT in the State of Colorado. I also took my class in Colorado too. IV and ECG Interpretation were incorporated into the course. I have over a year's worth of experience as an AEMT in Tennessee, if you combine both convalescent and ALS/911 experience. But with ALS/911 in itself, I have approximately 6 months of experience. I am still green in many areas.

When I pursued EMS, I never imagined how competitive it would be to establish a full time position, especially on the 911 side of it. I will be pursuing my paramedic next, so that may help.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I am an Advanced EMT, and IV and ECG interpretation skills were incorporated into the course.
I didn't know colorado had adopted the AEMT curriculum. Last I had checked, which was a while ago since I haven't cared too much as I'm a medic, they still used the I/99
Back when I was an nremt-i/85 I only qualified as an EMT in colorado, not an intermediate

OP
OP
Tnaemt94

Tnaemt94

Forum Crew Member
I didn't know colorado had adopted the AEMT curriculum. Last I had checked, which was a while ago since I haven't cared too much as I'm a medic, they still used the I/99

No, they JUST implemented it. I was licensed as an Advanced EMT in Colorado by January of 2015. But AEMT certification is essentially the same as EMT-B w/ IV and ECG. The only main difference is that I can start IO's. That's pretty much it.

I/99 is far more advanced than AEMT ironically, and they are in the process of bridging I/99 to paramedic. From my understanding, they will eventually eliminate the I/99 certification.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Right your AEMT is closer to the level my 85 level intermediate was. I'm glad to see the 99 level disappearing.
Either way, thanks for the info lol. I guess they implemented that the same time they did the critical care endorsement.
Good luck on finding something. We have someone here from DG that you might find if you search for older colorado threads