allergies

amadon

Forum Probie
Why are people being DQ from getting into the army or national guard because of being allergic to penicillion. Dont they give you a red dog tag at boot camp if you are allergic. and especially if you are not really allergic but are sensitive to the med and might get a rash. Can anyone answer that?

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
While there are military members on this forum, I would think that this question could more easily and definitively be answered by a recruiter. Might want to start there.

My guess: usually Army regs are in place to ensure that your health will not put others at risk or prevent you from being able to fight. Perhaps penicillin is one of the main antibiotics they utilize in the field, if you were to fall ill and require antibiotics but were unable to take penicillin due to an allergy, now you are a soldier that remains sick and unable to fight and will most likely have to be evacuated. There are multiple variations of this scenario that could cause problems. Makes sense to me.

As to the fact that you are only "mildly" allergic. They have to draw the line some where, its easier and less risky to deny any level of the allergy, rather than deal with the gray space of rashes and such.

spisco85

Forum Lieutenant
When I was in the Army there were lots of people allergic to penicillin. It was very common. There may be other reasons.

OP
OP
A

amadon

Forum Probie
yeah im pretty sure its just a way of cutting back on indianas overstaffment. ha. oh well