Alittle Help Please !!!

Srt4ever

Forum Crew Member
So Im trying to get some 911 or Critical Care experience but I'm quite nervous, being that Ive worked hospitals since Ive become a paramedic. Mix that with all the horror stories Ive heard about private ambulance companies increases my anxiety much more.

My question to you guys is what to do or what do you guys recommend, I need the outside pre hospital experience for my future of becoming a flight paramedic. Anyone can tell me what companies to stay away from ? Im looking into Sunstar Paramedics in tampa, American Ambulance and AMR, Sunstar 911 system they respond on. Can anyone shed some light on a typical day on a private company is like ?

I just feel I've been hospitalized for so long that I lack the ability or intuition that most paramedics are great about having, also a bit nervous about my license since some companies don't care about you and your expendable.

Please help and share insight, thanks.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
So Im trying to get some 911 or Critical Care experience but I'm quite nervous, being that Ive worked hospitals since Ive become a paramedic. Mix that with all the horror stories Ive heard about private ambulance companies increases my anxiety much more.

My question to you guys is what to do or what do you guys recommend, I need the outside pre hospital experience for my future of becoming a flight paramedic. Anyone can tell me what companies to stay away from ? Im looking into Sunstar Paramedics in tampa, American Ambulance and AMR, Sunstar 911 system they respond on. Can anyone shed some light on a typical day on a private company is like ?

I just feel I've been hospitalized for so long that I lack the ability or intuition that most paramedics are great about having, also a bit nervous about my license since some companies don't care about you and your expendable.

Just a word of caution, since I know this is for experience for flight. Most flight agencies want specifically 911 experience.* They want you to have expertise with scene calls while the nurse brings an expertise in hospital transports with vents, pumps, and multiple infusions. So make sure whatever private service you work for has 911 scene response.

*There are certainly exceptions and people will get hired from IFT, but often times those exceptions are able to stand out in other ways, such as demonstrating a medical knowledge well above and beyond a typical paramedic.

OP
OP
S

Srt4ever

Forum Crew Member
Just a word of caution, since I know this is for experience for flight. Most flight agencies want specifically 911 experience.* They want you to have expertise with scene calls while the nurse brings an expertise in hospital transports with vents, pumps, and multiple infusions. So make sure whatever private service you work for has 911 scene response.

*There are certainly exceptions and people will get hired from IFT, but often times those exceptions are able to stand out in other ways, such as demonstrating a medical knowledge well above and beyond a typical paramedic.

Im looking more for a company with 911 ability even if its backup, anything 911.

Kenny Sweitzer Jr

Forum Ride Along

So I work for SunStar paramedics....first off stay away from AMR, Americare and trans care. They are boring interfacility companies (trust me, I've worked there) ... Sunstar offers amazing expierience !!! Super high call volume. 90% 911 calls, some inter facilities... Sunstar is the only ambulance company in pinellas county and is the sole transport agency for every 911 call. Fire does not transport in this county. We are a dual response system, fire and Sunstar response to every call. Regardless of the call level you will always get a paramedic. Once again, a very busy system. Sunstar has a critical care transport team that offers great experience for flight medic. Bayflite often hires Sunstar and fire medics.

Oh and Sunstar has a 5-35$ program. Sign a 5year contract and at the end of 5years get a check for 35k... So that's a incentive.
Good luck! Hope that answered your questions.