Age when you joined EMS

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Started EMT the day after I turned 18.

Started Medic last Oct, and will hit the streets as one, God willing, before Halloween. B)

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
I was 30 when I decided to go back to school, 31 when I got my first job and will be 32 when I start paramedic school (33 when I'm done)

I swear that I'm the oldest EMT-I in the state of Georgia!!!

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
33 when I started as a volunteer; 10 years, 4 as a medic

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
I celebrated my 27th birthday during EMT class.

OP
OP
fortsmithman

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I was 30 when I decided to go back to school, 31 when I got my first job and will be 32 when I start paramedic school (33 when I'm done)

I swear that I'm the oldest EMT-I in the state of Georgia!!!

So paramedic school is 1 yr in the USA i gather. Here in Canada it's 2 yrs one for a paramedic program.

Last edited by a moderator:

gillysaurus

Forum Lieutenant
Passed my NREMT practical on my 20th birthday. That was a good present :)

I'm glad I waited until after I was 18 and had a year of university under my belt before starting my EMT. I wouldn't have been ready for it straight out of high school like some of y'all!

IrishEMT

Forum Probie
Started ride-alongs at 15 and a sophomore in high school and was certified 8 months later when I was 16 during the summer before my junior year. I'm 19 now, so it will be 4 years this December.

7of9

Forum Ride Along

Still got about 30 years left to practise yet. Been around it my whole life though. Grandfather taught me how to suture (stitch, in his words) hockey players way back in the 60'; but never let me practise the art.....much.

Difference is now I have real tickets to show....and I get paid for it.

Beats the legal field anyday.

HeavyCrow

Forum Crew Member
I turned 41 just a few days before I finished Basic class back in the summer. I am a vol with a great dept now and hope to do intermediate starting Jan 09 and then medic school 2010. Who says you cant teach an old dog new tricks?!

scottmcleod

Forum Crew Member
Bout 20........

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Sorta ootched into it.

First aid and lifesaver/dockhand: 19 y/o, started on birthday plus two.* This counts because the closest law enforcement and CDF was in Running Springs (out twenty minutes) and the local vollies were mostly summer folk and had no EMS mission. We were it.

Firefighter/EMT: 22/24 y/o respectively.

*That's when the Senior Lifesaver course included how to fight off Icthyosaurs)

Last edited by a moderator:

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm somewhat of a late comer to the profession, (unless you count the lifeguard cert I had in 75), I went to PCP school two days after my 43rd birthday 7 1/2 years ago. I should finish my ACP course in about 6 months. (Only 854 hours to go).

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I really came all the way up from the bottom. Boyscout first aid merit badge and cpr/aed when I was 12, Red Cross life guard at 16, started first responder at 17 began responding at 18, EMT-B at 21 and now medic at 22 so I'm either still a greenhorn or been in it for 10 years depending how you look at it.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Got to love all of that time!

Hmmmm....... Now where is that paper and pencil so I can do the math..LOL ! :p I was 30 when I took my EMT class. Still love it!!! KMG365!!!!^_^

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
I can count on one hand the number of people that started OLDER then me.

36 when I started as an EMT.

40 when I started as a FF.

Good thing I'm only a volunteer in the middle of nowhere because I'm too old to be starting this career back east.

Alexakat

Forum Lieutenant
I've been at it for 3 years (started at age 36)...gawd, I'm old...

Paladin

Forum Crew Member
I wanted to start at age 16 but when you have a mom who has been a Nursing Supervisor and Nursing Administrator for 20yrs, it's kind of hard to tell her you want to be an EMT. At 19 after finally begging enough and realizing I had nothing better to do with my time besides being a reservist she let me go to EMT school. Now im 23 and loving the job.