AED and O2-- fire risk?

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hey--
This is my first post here, I am just about to start a course. I have training in Scuba rescue and recovery.
In a wet field, isnt there a huge risk of fire/explosion when giving a patient O2, then needing to shock...? Would one disconnect the O2 before shocking? Even on a wet patient, is there a risk of the current moving to those treating?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
First - WELCOME!

There is a common misconception that Oxygen explodes. It doesen't.. it just supports combustion. Easy experiment - take a cigarrette and a piece of O2 tubiing... cigarette in the end of the O2 tubing, Oxygen on at 2 or 4 LPM, then light the cigarette... it burns very quickly, almost like a sparkeler.

Using an AED on wet patient is bad... you should attempt to dry the patient's chest and move them away from standing water before attaching the AED. Also, as part of being "clear" make sure no one is touching metal or water that is touching the patient (bed frame, puddle, etc).

Jon

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Also, as part of being "clear" make sure no one is touching metal or water that is touching the patient (bed frame, puddle, etc).

Why? Because running current from one knee to the other includes some pretty sensitive real estate, believe me!! :p

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Why? Because running current from one knee to the other includes some pretty sensitive real estate, believe me!! :p
Did you actually do it? my former EMS Capt. has "been there, done that" and warned me about it... espicially the burn marks on the trouser legs.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
I got a tingle that was small enough to be harmless and big enough to remind me I didn't want to get it again!

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I've heard but not actually seen, that a nitro patch puts on a bit of a show if the current passes through it. Reportedly a nice blue flame.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes! there has been documented data with O2 on the pt. and the AED goes to shock and because of O2 in use a few patient have caught on fire and been burned. Talk about having a really bad day!:wacko: Anyhow, when the AED gets ready to defibrillate, It is the responsibility of person running the AED to make sure the pt. has a dry chest,no medication patches on them, the pt. is on a dry surface and no metal on them or touching them and that no other people are touching the pt. That is why EMS folks have very LOUD voices and yell CLEAR :excl: :excl: ;)

OP
OP
M

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
OW. That must hurt...
Thanks for your responses-- again this was never stressed in either my Rescue Diver course or my O2 provider course... I did more scenerios practising this then I spent time learning the course.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I would like to see the documentation of AED and oxygen fire.... after reviewing literature research, I could not find any OSHI & FDA would have such reported if they existed). I did find a few defib fire incidences in the O.R., where gasses are present (Ether, and Oxygen). I believe this is an urban myth. Oxygen is a oxidizer, and not combustible. In the past 29 years, I have yet seen or read about any "fire" related incidences. This as well includes use of paddles that have metal and wide discharge area.

I personally have caused fire on patient, but it was caused by the use of saline pads ( this was before defib pads) and a "hairy chest"... a beautiful flame arched over from paddle to another and the chest hair caught on fire... which was immediately put out... but it did stink.!..lol I have seen NTG patches pop.. when being shocked...

I believe this is one of those cases, where myth is stronger than facts... maybe we should summit it to "Myth Busters"...

R/r 911

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
I believe this is one of those cases, where myth is stronger than facts... maybe we should summit it to "Myth Busters"...

R/r 911

you know, that's actually not a half bad idea. They've done shows on piercings & stuff getting shocked, so an AED one might be right up their alley. Besides, it's fun to blow things up. ;-)

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
First - WELCOME!

There is a common misconception that Oxygen explodes. It doesen't.. it just supports combustion. Easy experiment - take a cigarrette and a piece of O2 tubiing... cigarette in the end of the O2 tubing, Oxygen on at 2 or 4 LPM, then light the cigarette... it burns very quickly, almost like a sparkeler.

Using an AED on wet patient is bad... you should attempt to dry the patient's chest and move them away from standing water before attaching the AED. Also, as part of being "clear" make sure no one is touching metal or water that is touching the patient (bed frame, puddle, etc).

Jon

I love scaring new people with the old cigarette and O2 tubing trick. I had a new emt partner stop me once because she was afraid the metal pliers I was using on the O2 bottle would cause a spark and blow up. Needless to say, she was scared to death when I put a lit cigarette in front of the O2 tubing.