Advice

Emtint08

Forum Crew Member
Much like a lot of newcomers, I come to enjoy the advice of every one here, when I get a chance to get on. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you and your families. But I am needing some encouragement and advice.

I am going to be wrapping up intermediate class here in two weeks. Academically and skills, I feel okay with. Of course I am nervous, just want to get it right. Here is the thing. This is my second time around, and won't be allowed for a third attempt. I almost made it the first time, but I panicked during a scenario that I needed to pass and blew it. Never made it to state. Obviously, I wasnt ready. I feel ready now, but how do I not panic again? I really put a lot of time, sacrifice and energy into doing this. I really appreciate this line of work, and want to do well. Why do I panic during something so straightforward, when I have seemed to have proven that I do well in the field. I can't answer this. I am preparing for my finals, and tested scenarios. This seems to be my entire focus. I try everything from relaxation tecniques, to not overthinking, not overstudying (I tend to do that and give myself a migraine in the process). I have a high regard for the advice I have seen given from many of you, and would appreciate your feedback.

I was told confidence level has a lot to do with it. I know that I am confident (yet cautiously optimistic.), way more than before, but I think it still needs some upgrading. Words of Wisdom definatley welcome.:unsure:

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
Read this!
If you google something like "exam anxiety techniques" a whole slew of links will come up with excellent information!

Also my former psych. teacher told me that the night before, if you suffer from really bad test stress, or exam stress spend about 30 minutes the night before your exam in a quiet room and ensure you won't be interrupted. He said sit down and imagine you doing a test. From the moment you walk in the room, take your seat, pick up your pen, and write the exam. Imagine going thru several different scenarios in you head. CPR, major trauma, unknown medical. Go through it all.. Imagine the exam from start to finish and make it take about 30 minutes. Also, have someone in your class make up a test for you, then sit down and do it. He said this way your body will "freak out" and release all the hormones and cause mental blocks during this fake exam, then when you go in the second day your body has already been through this and you will "freak out" less and have less mental blocks.
I don't remember the study he had for this, but I remember him telling us all this.. and said that he does this to his Sr. Girls Volleyball team. He'll have them sit in a big group about 30-1hr before a game and they all close their eyes and go thru the game together, and they imagine it. There must be a reason he keeps coming 1st in the province.

Try those methods out.. also look up some tips and hints on google, or whatever search engine you use.
I've tried his method, and it works great.

(from: http://emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=9456)

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
First and formost EMT, welcome to the tribe!! It is always nerve racking when it comes to testing and exams. In the great scheme of things this is one way of getting you ready for the world of EMS, your coping mechanisms will be tested and along the way you will learn new ways of learning how to deal with stress that comes with this profession.

I know that when we have a passion to learn and do a job well, it is a difficult thing to always have in the back of your mind the lurking sense of the possibility of failure. Worst case would be "IF" ( funny how a tiny word can one so darn crazy!) you don't pass the first time out, you will be your hardest critic, after the dust and the shock settles, Look at it as a teaching lesson. Now you know how to take these tests, the material and theroy you will have a stronger understanding of. The practical skills that you felt a little shaky and unsure, will now have a stronger foundation.

Just remember that all of us have walked the path you are on now, we have yelled and screamed, cried and prayed like hell, and we are all pulling for you, just remember always keep on learning, we are the patient's advacote.

Hope this helps! :)

OP
OP
E

Emtint08

Forum Crew Member
resonse

Read this!
If you google something like "exam anxiety techniques" a whole slew of links will come up with excellent information!

Also my former psych. teacher told me that the night before, if you suffer from really bad test stress, or exam stress spend about 30 minutes the night before your exam in a quiet room and ensure you won't be interrupted. He said sit down and imagine you doing a test. From the moment you walk in the room, take your seat, pick up your pen, and write the exam. Imagine going thru several different scenarios in you head. CPR, major trauma, unknown medical. Go through it all.. Imagine the exam from start to finish and make it take about 30 minutes. Also, have someone in your class make up a test for you, then sit down and do it. He said this way your body will "freak out" and release all the hormones and cause mental blocks during this fake exam, then when you go in the second day your body has already been through this and you will "freak out" less and have less mental blocks.
I don't remember the study he had for this, but I remember him telling us all this.. and said that he does this to his Sr. Girls Volleyball team. He'll have them sit in a big group about 30-1hr before a game and they all close their eyes and go thru the game together, and they imagine it. There must be a reason he keeps coming 1st in the province.

Try those methods out.. also look up some tips and hints on google, or whatever search engine you use.
I've tried his method, and it works great.

(from: http://emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=9456)

I hope this helps! Good luck!

It certainly does!!! thank you. I shall try this. Thank you.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
I'm going to call this ''Ockham's Razor''. All things being eqal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one.

You keep failing because you're placing these exams on too high of a pedestal. You're also forgetting that the class was designed to get you PASSED this point. You might want to realize that these scenarios (class or NR) have critcal errors. DON'T DO THEM and you can't fail those.

As you have admitted, it's all mental. If you believe it, you can do it. Believe it. Know it. Do it.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Hey! You're not afraid of the test, you're afraid of screwing up!! Very good!

So, think of the test like a thermometer and you're the Thanksgiving turkey (emu, whatever, depends on your size of family). The test tells them two things: how well you test, and if you've learned it. You're confident you learned it, so that's done. How well you test is your end of the deal.
My son was a test-o-phobic or whatever, but he wound up on the Dean's list the last two semesters of university by two things: learning the material, and trying to think of the questions like a co-worker asking them of him. It's not the Grand High Inquisitor asking inscrutable convoluted questions, it's Billy-Bob who's having a brain fart or doing the crosswords.
They want to pass you. You know the material. Go watch a movie, eat some popcorn, turn in reading some scifi or chick lit or whatever you're into, get up early (not 3 am), eat a comforting breakfast, then go "talk to Billy-Bob".

You can do it!!!
ys_beagle.jpg

Oh, and, sorry about that visual regarding getting stuck with a meat thermometer!;)

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
So, you know the information, you have the skills and your only issue was the anxiety? Wow, you are so far ahead of the one who has the confidence and not the knowledge!