Advice

emt786

Forum Probie
This really has nothing to do with EMS but I really need some advice, it's kind of silly...

I was wondering if it is weird to nominate yourself for an award, even though there is an option for "self" on the nomination form.

Is it better to ask someone to do it for you, especially if you feel you are a good and deserving candidate?

Thanks!

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
It's okay for every one except "Most Humble"!

dataxpress

Forum Ride Along
What kind of award is it? You might have to nominate yourself to get considered for the award. You don't actually get the award just because you nominate yourself, you just get in the running, so nominating yourself doesn't give you an unfair advantage. They just give the option to nominate others so that you might surprise them or if they don't know about the award.

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
Although I might think I deserve it, would rather wait for someone to vote/nominate for me without asking them to do it.

At the end, you will have a much better and true reflection of the result.

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
If you think that you deserve this award (Derived from you wanting to nominate yourself), then your actions SHOULD have been enough for others to believe, THEY should nominate you...

dataxpress

Forum Ride Along
I disagree entirely. The point is not to get nominated, the point is to win the award. Suppose there's a race you're qualified to enter, and you can register or have other people register you for. It's not disgraceful to enter yourself, because it doesn't mean you've made yourself win, you've only made yourself have a shot at winning. Lots of other people get nominated for whatever award, so if you do win, you were worth it. If there aren't a lot of other people who get nominated, it's probably not a very awesome award anyway.

While it's honorable/etc/blah/blah to let somebody else nominate you, the whole point of nominations is to let the award committee know you exist. The odds that they know who you are are low, regardless of how heroic/etc you might be. You might have even gotten into the newspaper and they still wouldn't know who you are.