Advice school to take medic in Detroit

Brianvan0716

Forum Ride Along
I am at a cross road of what school to take my Paramedic class from. I completed my basic at Oakland Community college and planned on taking my medic there, until I found out I would have to attend 2 days a week during the day. Since I work full time, that is going to be a hard sell to my current company. At this point, I can either go part time and lose my health insurance so I can attend Oakland, Or I can can attend Baker College or Great Lakes academy which meet one day a week, or Superior/Dorsey which meets 2 days a week in the evening. Do employers look at where you went, or just that you passed the registery?

Any advice on this subject would be great!

-Brian

Anjel

Forum Angel
I am at a cross road of what school to take my Paramedic class from. I completed my basic at Oakland Community college and planned on taking my medic there, until I found out I would have to attend 2 days a week during the day. Since I work full time, that is going to be a hard sell to my current company. At this point, I can either go part time and lose my health insurance so I can attend Oakland, Or I can can attend Baker College or Great Lakes academy which meet one day a week, or Superior/Dorsey which meets 2 days a week in the evening. Do employers look at where you went, or just that you passed the registery?

Any advice on this subject would be great!

-Brian

I go to McLaren in Flint. It is one day a week and they have an a program starting in October on Wednesdays. Its $4500 with a monthly payment option of $350 a month.

I really don't recommend Baker. It is extremely expensive.

ALSO make sure you start before January. All the regulations for clinicals and requirements are changing. And it is gonna be a lot more intense.

OCC is where I took basic. It is a great program.

Where I am employed. They never asked where I went to school. They just needed to see I had my license. But there was an employment test that I felt a lot more prepared for then other people I knew who went to great lakes, LSTI, etc.

Anjel

Forum Angel
MedStar is a great program too!

Superior and Great Lakes. Not so much.