Advice requested

bensley101

Forum Probie
My original reason for joining the VRS with no certifications was because I was thinking of a switching careers to nursing and I thought I could get my feet wet. I also figured that once I got my EMT license I could get a job at a hospital nearby, which would then pay for nursing classes. (the hospital near me pays 100% of your tuition if you agree to work there for 2 years after you get your degree.) Not a bad deal if you ask me!

So on to the question. Does anyone know what type of positions (if any) I should look for once I finish my EMT class in July and what the payscale is like? I know it varies but I have no idea. I am making $17 an hour right now installing hardwood floors. I am trying to find a way to get through this all without taking a bit hit on my income. I have a 20 month old and a new baby due mid July so money is a little tight as it is.

Any suggestions members?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Become an ER tech?

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
Er Tech which around here pays about $12 an hour.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Why the cert for EMT if you were thinking about nursing or hospital work?

Prehospital certs like EMT do limit your opportunities for hospital jobs.

CNA and phlebotomy certs will get you into the door faster with more job possibilities especially if you talk up the reasons for wanting to be a nurse.

Sasha

Forum Chief
My original reason for joining the VRS with no certifications was because I was thinking of a switching careers to nursing and I thought I could get my feet wet. I also figured that once I got my EMT license I could get a job at a hospital nearby, which would then pay for nursing classes. (the hospital near me pays 100% of your tuition if you agree to work there for 2 years after you get your degree.) Not a bad deal if you ask me!

So on to the question. Does anyone know what type of positions (if any) I should look for once I finish my EMT class in July and what the payscale is like? I know it varies but I have no idea. I am making $17 an hour right now installing hardwood floors. I am trying to find a way to get through this all without taking a bit hit on my income. I have a 20 month old and a new baby due mid July so money is a little tight as it is.

Any suggestions members?

Skip EMT. Go directly to nursing. I wish I had. The EMS system is so dysfunctional. When I first got into EMS I never understood why all the "old timers" were so bitter, frustrated, fed up, etc, and after less than a year, I totally understand. Go to nursing if you already know that's your long term goal.

mariat753

Forum Probie
I disagree with those who say EMS isn't a good experience for another medical career--I spent 13 years as a career EMT and am a PA now, and those were invaluable years (and fun, and crazy, and a million other adjectives). But it is perhaps not a good choice if you're just using it for a route to another end. And I don't know about the rest of the country, but I did my time in NJ, and getting right out of EMT school will land you a job in a non-emergency transport company, schlepping dialysis patients and definitely not paying $17 an hour. A floor or ICU tech is probably a better route to nursing--EMS and nursing don't have a whole lot of common ground.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
EMS and nursing don't have a whole lot of common ground.

Unfortunately it is the education that makes them two separate professions. Nursing builds a foundation that allows the nurses to continue their education into specialization. EMS provides training for a few specific skills and a few drug with protocols to give them a feeling of autonomy but few realize how limited they are. Nurses can make an easier transition into an out of hospital or prehospital situation than Paramedics can into the hospital, CCT or Specialty transport world. Nurses are also aware of their limitations and will seek out new areas with caution and preparation. Their approach to skills is to know the theories and reasons behind each skill first. Paramedics put their emphasis on their skills. If a skill, like pedi ETI, is removed they feel "empty" without knowing how knowledge/education can fill the void.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
CNA and phlebotomy certs will get you into the door faster with more job possibilities especially if you talk up the reasons for wanting to be a nurse.

Thats pretty much the case in NY.

mariat753

Forum Probie
Unfortunately it is the education that makes them two separate professions. .

I know people will hate the way this sounds--but that's what still makes one "education" and the other "training". Although I will say that I have not always seen nurses make an easy transition to the prehospital setting ("true" prehospital versus emergency interfacility transport).;)

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I know people will hate the way this sounds--but that's what still makes one "education" and the other "training". Although I will say that I have not always seen nurses make an easy transition to the prehospital setting ("true" prehospital versus emergency interfacility transport).;)

Flight nurses that do HEMS are usually excellent at their jobs and have made the necessary preparations.

It seems you are probably not familar with "true" Critical Care transports or Specialty teams. You know, the ones where the Paramedic can actually titrate or initiate drips instead of babysitting the equipment and hoping nothing beeps. For many CCTs that is where the nurse comes along to set up all the meds or rides along to help the Paramedic out.

Some Specialty transport teams do all the stabilization and resuscutation for many hours for a long distance transport and do it very well even without a Paramedic. Most Paramedics would be lost on NICU, ECMO or Cardiac Specialty transports but many would believe they could do these transports with just a couple hours of "training" on the equipment. RNs would not consider doing such transports without education, training and experience.

The RNs and other professionals on Flight and Specialty know you don't go from 0 to hero in 700 hours of training. The Paramedics that want to join a GOOD flight team may find out they are in over their head in just the meet and greet interview. Out of the 200 Paramedic applications we get for one opening, maybe 10 will meet the basic requirements and we actually don't ask for much more than any good ground EMS requires. The 10 RNs that apply for a position are almost always more than qualified with education and required certs.

Last edited by a moderator:

mariat753

Forum Probie
I think you completely mistook me--I have utter respect for transport teams and obviously for flight crews. The mobile ICUs they run are truly amazing. I just thought it was unfair to say that nurses could easily tranfer to a prehospital environment whereas the opposite was not true--I have not always seen this to be the case--please accept my apology if you took this as any disrespect of the profession.

OP
OP
bensley101

bensley101

Forum Probie
well, let me explain my reasoning for doing EMS before going into nursing. There are a few.
One reason is that although I know I am very interested in nursing, I have absolutely no experience. And I mean ANY. I have never really been in any emergency situations, never had to deal with someone bleeding all over the place, never had to deal with someone dying from the EMS side of things. I figured the VRS would get my feet wet, I guess to see if I can hack it. Will I get sick when someone else is throwing up in the ambu? I found out last a few weeks ago that I will not. Maybe because of I have kids, puke doesn't bother me. How about when I have to hold someone's head together because a bullet blew part of it off? I don't know yet, but where I work, it's only a matter of time. So I feel like I will get to experience some of the things I may have to deal with in the medical field. Even though I know there is a broad spectrum of types of nurses and not all are ER nurses.
Another reason is money. With one 1-1/2 year old and another due in July, money is tight at my place. I can't afford to pay for school. I do know that I can get a job at at least one of the hospitals by me that will pay 100% tuition reimbursement. I know this means that I will have to lay out for it, but that much i can work out. But to get that you have to be working for them. And I figured I may be able to get a better paying position at the hospital if I got my EMS and some experience before I went. I can't afford to take a big hit on income but I can withstand a little.
The third reason is that a friend of mine that already works at the hospital said in talking with the head nurse that she loves the idea of doing VRS before hand. She said the experience of being in emergency situations and trying to handle them while bouncing around in an ambulance would make everything else seem easier. Not to mention already being familiar with some of the equipment and procedures while going through class.
The latter wasn't so much a reason, but when she said that it kinda put a little more fuel in the tank you know? I am 28, wishing I had found this a long time ago. Now I have a family, mortgage, blah blah blah, think I'm gonna have to do it the long way.
I do want to mention though, that the VRS is not just a means to an end. I have always looked up to cops, fire fighters, and EMTs ever since I was old enough to understand who they were, and it feels good to be a part of it, and I don't think I'll ever stop doing it. Even if the nursing thing doesn't work out.