Advice on field kit and legality of usage sought.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
AED can be used when not under medical control if trained..

..but if Bubba Medic come dittybopping by and starts pulling oxygen, AED, spineboard, KED, etc out of his trunk, questions begin to be asked.

Also, using a clotting agent on a puncture wound...doesn't it have to get into the bleeding site? An avulsion, sure, but a righteous stab wound, maybe an insulted artery or vein... has anyone actually read about any embolii arising from envasculated clotting agents like that?

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
PS: very complicated little kit there. Get em to hire you.

gw812

Forum Crew Member
...has anyone actually read about any embolii arising from envasculated clotting agents like that?

That's a darn good question, and one I never thought to ask!

cfrench

Forum Crew Member
That's a darn good question, and one I never thought to ask!

Just carry the Quikclot sponge or guaze. The issue will never come up then. And for what it is worth, Quikclot is sold at Cabelas so I would have no hesitation about using it off duty. NPA's are a different situation. Also, if space is an issue, dump BP cuff and maybe the scope. Taking someones BP is not going to save a life, nor is the incoming EMS crew going to really care probably.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Just carry the Quikclot sponge or guaze. The issue will never come up then. And for what it is worth, Quikclot is sold at Cabelas so I would have no hesitation about using it off duty. NPA's are a different situation. Also, if space is an issue, dump BP cuff and maybe the scope. Taking someones BP is not going to save a life, nor is the incoming EMS crew going to really care probably.

Absent facial trauma with deformity, in what situation could you possibly injure someone with an NPA (if used correctly)?