Advice Needed...ER Tech or BLS IFT to Medic School?

jccilm

Forum Probie
I agree with the ER Tech position over EMT-B working IFT.

Personally speaking I've found the EMT-B course to be very challenging as a novice and very interesting. But despite a heavy course load I realize that an EMT-B is not trained so much more than a First Responder, at least here in North Carolina.

The only difference between the two is that an EMT-B is generally approved to set up 12 Lead ECG, BIAD, Confirm Intubation (but not insert them), and Respirator operations. Essentially I could teach someone to functionally do those techniques in less than a day. So really there's not much there. I like the idea of improved standards, especially in regards to an ambulance service. We'll always need EMT-B and MR to fill things out, but these certifications usually are mainly amongst LEO and Fire Departments.

AMF

Forum Crew Member
I agree with the ER Tech position over EMT-B working IFT.

Personally speaking I've found the EMT-B course to be very challenging as a novice and very interesting. But despite a heavy course load I realize that an EMT-B is not trained so much more than a First Responder, at least here in North Carolina.

The only difference between the two is that an EMT-B is generally approved to set up 12 Lead ECG, BIAD, Confirm Intubation (but not insert them), and Respirator operations. Essentially I could teach someone to functionally do those techniques in less than a day. So really there's not much there. I like the idea of improved standards, especially in regards to an ambulance service. We'll always need EMT-B and MR to fill things out, but these certifications usually are mainly amongst LEO and Fire Departments.

That's uncommon.
Do you confirm with actual capnography or the yellow thing? I mean, why can't the paramedic do that?
By respirators do you mean nebulizers or CPAP-oriented devices?
That's a very interesting scope. Not what I would have elected for, but I've heard good things about North Carolina EMS