Advice for EMT-B student?

Trevor0403

Forum Ride Along
I'm starting school in 2 days and was curious as for what to expect? Is it hard? Is there anything I should know that will help me do better?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Difficulty is relative. What's easy for me may be very difficult for you and vice versa.

Read the book, and read each chapter prior to it being covered in class. Don't be afraid to ask questions- odds are you won't be the only person to not understand something.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm starting school in 2 days and was curious as for what to expect? Is it hard? Is there anything I should know that will help me do better?

Well first off congrats on starting your EMS Career.

I wouldn't say hard, more time consuming. If you have a few brain cells it wont be bad if you pay attention and take notes, along with what I said before a few brain cells.

Take notes, flash cards help, study groups, and pay attention in class.

Calico

Forum Probie
Don't get in a habit of "I have to get 100% on my [written] tests." You're not going to. Ever. Try hard, do your best, and know that even people who work in the ER everyday aren't going to get 100% (in my class, highest grade was only 85% on midterms, and that person was firefighter, RN, and EMT).

HighRockyEMT

Forum Ride Along
Some good advice. I would say the typical "You get what you put into it". Study, spend some time researching, and go the extra mile. Not exactly hard, but put forth the extra effort.

Apple Bill

Forum Crew Member
Read, read, then read.
My instructors said to plan on 2 hours of study for each hour of class. Not a bad rule of thumb to start, I wound up more 1:1 and it worked for me. Read before class and write down definitions and notes. Make flashcards of definitions, acronyms and processes. Anywhere we drove, my wife would bring the cards and quiz me as I drove. And at the dinner table.
Sit up front and pay attention. Ask questions. Answer questions, whether you know 100% or not. Try.
If you get a workbook with your textbook, use it. I'd read the chapter a couple times, get to where I could answer the objective questions at the end, then treat my workbook as a test. If I missed something in the workbook, I'd go back and study that. When it came time for the tests, they were a breeze.
Work hard and do well. Welcome.

OP
OP
T

Trevor0403

Forum Ride Along
Thanks everyone for some awesome pointers! Turns out there weren't enough applicants and my class was postponed until further notice. It kinda sucks because not only was I really excited for it, but I also spent over $100 on study guides, stethescope, and a bp cuff :(