Advice for a teacher

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
I'm just over the river in Fairfax, actually. I'll try their website! Would be nice to do that instead of the whole undergrad thing all over again.

Venificus- the kid who smacked his head in the cave tried his best to get a phone number from the very attractive female EMS person who showed up. She wasn't impressed.
Emma, I have a friend in Fairfax who is a volunteer FF/EMT. He is a defense contractor during the day and took classes at night. I'm not sure you'd have time to become a volunteer but if you do so they will set you up with all the training you want.

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
EMT might be a little overkill, but having said that when I went to EMT school it was 2 nights a week. I'm sure there are programs that can swing just 1 night per week nearby.

If not, check out any of the CFR (Certified First Responder) classes. I'm not familiar with the Virginia area but you can start looking here.
Hope that helps!

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief

MEDIC802

Forum Crew Member
You might check with local fire departments, they put on first responder and EMT B classes (depends upon what state your in) during fire school.

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
+1 on the CFR, it's only 40 hours as opposed to the 120+ hour EMT-Basic program and will be about 98% as effective for what you're trying to get out of it.

I had it integrated in my Fire Academy and have to say that it's a great program for anyone in a similar situation as yourself.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Is there really any way to learn that kind of thing independently? I don't think I know anyone who could teach me, but I've been curious since hearing about it.

The only way to learn it independantly is to read about it from a good source and to practice on every patient you see. (I suggest Bate's guide to physical exam and history)

The best way to learn it is to find a doctor trained outside of the US to take you around a bunch of patients and show you and explain the findings.

They are skills that must be practiced regularly.

In all fairness, some of the older US docs probably know how too.

OP
OP
E

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
EMT might be a little overkill, but having said that when I went to EMT school it was 2 nights a week. I'm sure there are programs that can swing just 1 night per week nearby.

If not, check out any of the CFR (Certified First Responder) classes. I'm not familiar with the Virginia area but you can start looking here.
Hope that helps!

I strongly suspect I do not have time for overkill! Thanks for the link. I searched there for the CFR, but there are no classes scheduled anywhere in VA until 1011. :(

Veneficus

Forum Chief

Hope that helps!

I didn't mention CFR because it is so utterly useless that I think it would be a total waste of time and money and the OP wouldn't get anything out of it other than perhaps an entertaining war story which seems to be the primary part of those classes.

OP
OP
E

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
Is CFR worthless for you guys? Or for anyone? I just want to make sure that I can deal with stuff until a real medical professional shows up. I don't need to get the full training...unless there isn't really any other way to go about this.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Emma, NVCC had (it's been many years since I've been there but I can't imagine it changing) an EMT-Basic class that met solely at night, two nights a week for one semester. As far as I know Holly Frost is still the assistant dean over EMS so the program will be of good quality. The class meets at the MEC in Springfield. This is PROBABLY the best option for you.

The other possibility is Prince William and Loudon County Fire Academies may open their Basic classes for volunteers to the public. They usually meet two nights a week and a couple of Saturdays for three-four months. Contact the respective fire departments and they can point you in the right direction.

If I were you I'd go with EMT-Basic, the time commitment is not THAT much more, and it does go slightly more in depth. Either one will serve what your looking for, EMT-Basic is just a slightly better education. Plus Virginia doesn't put on a whole heck of a lot of FR classes.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I didn't mention CFR because it is so utterly useless that I think it would be a total waste of time and money and the OP wouldn't get anything out of it other than perhaps an entertaining war story which seems to be the primary part of those classes.

I couldn't disagree with you more. A first responder class is exactly what she needs.

She will learn the exact skills in the FR class as she will the EMT class, with the exception of a few additional skills that she's not going to able to do as a lay responder. The other benefit of the EMT class vs the FR class is learning the 'why' behind the some of injuries.

Emma, a first responder course will work out best for you. The Red Cross even has this class, or as mentioned above, check out your local fire department.

Sent using the Tapatalk app!

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
That's just because you want to turn everyone you see into a doctor that doesn't want to send everyone to CT. :p

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
I strongly suspect I do not have time for overkill! Thanks for the link. I searched there for the CFR, but there are no classes scheduled anywhere in VA until 1011. :(
You'll probably have better luck with EMT in terms of availability of courses. Who knows though, there's bound to be a program you can do one night per week. If you can find one, then I'd consider that because there really isn't all that much to EMT. More volume than complexity.

OP
OP
E

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
Oh, but I like to know the "why" behind everything! I'm a science teacher, after all. If I'm going to spend the money and the time to do this, I may as well have a good time.

Also, I suspect I was kind of a ridiculous A&P teacher because I know nothing about the medical field that didn't directly relate to the course. Students would ask me questions and I'd have no clue. I'll probably start teaching that again down the road, so EMT B would help there.

NVCC has both types of classes, but neither start until 2011. I have the time now (before I get married) to do it and don't want to wait a year to start. I will try the Red Cross one more time.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I couldn't disagree with you more. A first responder class is exactly what she needs.

She will learn the exact skills in the FR class as she will the EMT class, with the exception of a few additional skills that she's not going to able to do as a lay responder. The other benefit of the EMT class vs the FR class is learning the 'why' behind the some of injuries.

Emma, a first responder course will work out best for you. The Red Cross even has this class, or as mentioned above, check out your local fire department.

Here is the thing, the MFR class is based around the idea of what to do until another level of provider shows up.

Which defaults to another provider needing to respond. In an agency like a FD where there will be other providers responding, being an MFR works out fine. (That was once my role)

My first teaching job was teaching MFR to laypersons.(The class was mostly school teachers) It really was a waste of everyone's time and money. Many were just there to hear stories. The few that did care could not be taught enough in the time alloted to even make the decision on when to call for help or not because of lack of background. They also were teaching in subrban school environments exclusively, with resources like the school nurse, 911 with a reasonable response time, etc. For that group MFR was fine. In fact it was probably overkill.

EMT will also incorperate when to call for ALS. Which demonstrates not only the skills to take care of somebody, but when it is time to call for help, not just defaulting to calling for everything. You can have a kid slash open his arm from wrist to the shoulder who may not need a 911 response ever. A doctor for certain, hopefully within about 6-8 hours but no lights and sirens and special gear required.

Is EMT overkill for the average school teacher? Sure, without a doubt.

But the average school teacher isn't hiking through a cave with teenagers who are bashing their heads on rocks either.

For the most part I agree with your opinion, but in this specific case, i stand by my original recommendation. EMT would be the best chooice. Not the only viable choice for sure, but knowing more of the "why" and not simply skills imparts not only confidence but also the ability to improvise when the "normal" resources are not available.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
That's just because you want to turn everyone you see into a doctor that doesn't want to send everyone to CT. :p

There is a lot more truth to that than you think.

I don't think every person who falls from standing needs an ALS ambulance to a level I trauma center with a full diagnostic workup and bill.

Not everyone can be a doctor, but a person doesn't have to be a doctor in order to have some level of self reliance.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
NVCC has both types of classes, but neither start until 2011. I have the time now (before I get married) to do it and don't want to wait a year to start. I will try the Red Cross one more time.

Do you mean 2012? Because it has been 2011 for awhile now.

OP
OP
E

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
Here is the thing, the MFR class is based around the idea of what to do until another level of provider shows up.

Which defaults to another provider needing to respond. In an agency like a FD where there will be other providers responding, being an MFR works out fine. (That was once my role)

My first teaching job was teaching MFR to laypersons.(The class was mostly school teachers) It really was a waste of everyone's time and money. Many were just there to hear stories. The few that did care could not be taught enough in the time alloted to even make the decision on when to call for help or not because of lack of background. They also were teaching in subrban school environments exclusively, with resources like the school nurse, 911 with a reasonable response time, etc. For that group MFR was fine. In fact it was probably overkill.

I may be teaching in Fairfax County, but the population at my school is anything but suburban. We're lucky to have a nurse a few days a week. My main concern is when I take kids out of the school setting for trips. It's not always possible to get medical help right away.

OP
OP
E

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
Do you mean 2012? Because it has been 2011 for awhile now.

Don't mind me. Spending 8hrs a day with Jr High kids does funny things to my brain. (I'm trying to set up a lesson to have kids play act the role of electrons in covalent bonding, while looking at the NVCC site at the same time).

Carry on.:p

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Don't mind me. Spending 8hrs a day with Jr High kids does funny things to my brain. (I'm trying to set up a lesson to have kids play act the role of electrons in covalent bonding, while looking at the NVCC site at the same time).

I think that might be against some law actually :)