Active911

Action942Jackson

Forum Crew Member
Anyone else use their service? We just started using it as our mobile CAD solution on our agencies iPads. 10 bucks a year per device is a heck of a lot cheaper then 7500 per unit in start up costs for radio modems, toughbooks, and the CADs mobile solutions.

medic308

Forum Crew Member
My dept is starting to use it now for member text paging for 911 jobs. They have plans for vehicle mounted units and having a screen in the truck bay running the web version.

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
I love Active 911.

They also have pretty great customer service from what I experienced. There was an alteration in how firecom was sending out calls which didn't agree with Active's text system. I called Active and they got back to me pretty quickly with what had happened and assured me it would be fixed. It was indeed patched up pretty quickly. Plus it's great for people worried about getting too many texts.

OP
OP
A

Action942Jackson

Forum Crew Member
Yeah. My department just went to a paid subscription. 10 bucks a year per license is insanely cheaper then a 800 per year per license charge our existing CAD system company wants to charge to use their mobile suite for the iPad.

ticktoc

Forum Ride Along
How have you been finding using the iPad vs. a toughbook? Do you find a problem with glare from the sun or anything?

OP
OP
A

Action942Jackson

Forum Crew Member
Absolutely not. We've been running iPads as our main platforms for iPCR, Eschedule, and Active911 since November. We haven't broken a single one, haven't had a single issue resulting in one getting replaced, batteries stay good, and the GPS is accurate. We also have all of these on Verizon LTE unlimited and hands down the best addition to our department. The only issues we've come across: iPads don't like cold temps when trying to gain a signature in 30 and below temps, and the GPS will stop broadcasting signal if the Active911 app is minimized to open other apps.

OP
OP
A

Action942Jackson

Forum Crew Member
That and 600 bucks for a Verizon LTE iPad is a lot cheaper then a 3500 dollar toughbook, then having to pay additional money for a hotspot or radio modem for the toughbook to operate properly.

Ace 227

Forum Lieutenant
Just started using it. We had IAMRESPONDING and it didn't take. Active911 seems to be better thought out and the iPhone app is great. I like that I get alerts from it rather then texts so I can assign an individual alarm for when calls come in.

The only issue we've had is that the addresses we've been getting aren't always correct. Could be an issue with the CAD system but we're still fleshing it out.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
I really like the Active911 app for the Android system. Where I'm stationed I can't always hear what all is going on with our other units in the county and this app keeps me in the loop, which is great for a more rural system with limited resources. I also like the mapping function, very convenient.

OP
OP
A

Action942Jackson

Forum Crew Member
It depends on the settings your administrator sets up in the dashboards. If you allow the coordinates to override the google maps address search, this works best. If your dispatch center already has GIS mapping with GPS coordinates. The app will use the coordinates instead of the address, if the address doesn't verify in google maps.